Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Problem since upgrading to iOS 8
#31247 09/22/14 03:58 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I try to install Google Maps into my iPhone 4S. The Google Maps icon shows it is loading on an iPhone page. When the installation finishes, the Google Maps icon disappears and I am unable to use Google Maps. Google Maps remains in the iTunes list of apps with the button showing Remove, so iTunes appears to think that Google Maps is installed. I click Remove and click Sync and the button shows Install as though I have "removed" Google Maps from the iPhone 4S. How can I fix this loading failure?

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/22/14 04:03 AM. Reason: Rewrite

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Re: Problem since upgrading to iOS 8
JoBoy #31250 09/22/14 12:51 PM

Contact Google Tech Support. They are the ones that built the installer.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31258 09/22/14 03:29 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. Will do.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #31268 09/22/14 08:06 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I am embarrassed to admit that I can't figure out how to do this. Rather than recount all of the failed attempts, could you please give me a step by step just to get to the proper help? I'm stuck with this thing and it is because I accidentally touched the wrong spot with my finger or cursor and, boom, I was the not so proud owner of iOS 8. I had no intention to migrate so early.

JoBoy #31272 09/22/14 11:29 PM

This might be a silly question, but have you verified there's enough free space on your iPhone to install Google Maps?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #31273 09/23/14 12:47 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

That is NOT a silly question. I have an iPhone 4S labeled 16GB, but the capacity is 12.75GB. I have 6.81GB free. My fuzzy memory tells me that I had more free space before I accidentally activated the iOS 8 installation. It was unintended, but way too easy to do as I was syncing my iPhone with my Mac Pro. Is 6.81GB enough to do the installation? Google Maps on in iPhone is 21.6MB. Somewhere I read about needing sufficient free space, but I don't remember the numbers.

I just deleted Google Maps from my iPhone and from iTunes. I then went to the App Store to get a fresh Google Maps app, but cannot find Google Maps for the iPhone. That was not true a couple of days ago. I wonder if Google has pulled it for an update.

Also, could there be a problem with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and iOS 8 on an iPhone 4S?

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/23/14 02:09 AM.

JoBoy #31274 09/23/14 02:33 PM

Google Maps shows up in the App Store on the iPhone running iOS 8. It does not say Google Maps for iPhone, but that is what it is.

To get to the developers web site:
  1. Launch the App Store on your iPhone
  2. Find the entry for Google Maps and click on it to get the full description
  3. In the full description scrool down — way down past the compatibility notes (iOS 6 or later), past Version History to Developer Website.
  4. Touch Developer Website
  5. Scroll down the Developer website — way down — until you get to "Community"
  6. Under "Community" you will find Help Center
  7. From there you are on your own. Much (most?) of the Google Earth information assumes Google Earth on Windows running Internet Explorer and Mobile apps get only a passing notice. Google does not like to interact directly with their users so you will have to do some digging to get there.
You may be better off going to Google Earth on your Mac. The text will be the same and probably easier to read.

There should be no problem between Lion and iOS 8. All they do is link with one another over a very well and very tightly defined interface.

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/23/14 02:35 PM. Reason: Add Lion / iOS 8 remark

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31278 09/23/14 04:04 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I just checked the iPhone App Store and Google Maps is back up in its original form. Problem solved.

Sorry to have been a bother.

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/23/14 04:27 PM. Reason: Updated information

joemikeb #31282 09/23/14 08:28 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh boy, was I wrong! Google Maps did come back up on the iTunes Store, navigation category, but it had the same performance as before. Your description of how to get to a help center was very daunting. I decided to give Apple Maps another try. It has had a lot of updates since I last used it. I'll wait until Google fixes the problem. I trashed all of the apps I've installed since the accidental conversion to iOS 8 and now have 6.96 GB free out of 12.75GB capacity on the 16GB iPhone 4S I'm using so I hope I have enough space to install Google Maps. I have been stuck with a couple of Apple's mandatory apps called Health and Tips that I'm not likely to use. I wish they'd stop that practice. Their weather app is also a nuisance. WeatherBug is far more useful. I try never to be an early user, but I'm stuck with iOS 8. Going back to iOS 7 is a chore I don't want to tackle either. Sorry to be so picky, but I'm trying to actually do some work today. Thanks again for your kind assistance. I'm afraid I'm having what is called a "Bad hair day."

joemikeb #31352 09/30/14 05:24 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

After a little more experience, I'd like to try a simpler version of this question: I still have Google Maps appearing on my list of iOS 8.0.2 applications. I notice that there is a little iCloud symbol on the window when I look at it on the iOS app store. Does this mean that it must be installed in iCloud? If so, that is my problem. I have never activated iCloud. I can operate without it. This also would indicate a change since the previous version that I had installed because I didn't have to install it in iCloud. Is this scenario possibly why I've had problems with it?

JoBoy #31354 09/30/14 05:33 PM

Does that little cloud symbol have a down pointing arrow in it as well? That means you can download it, since it is not installed. You should not need to have iCloud activated to do this.

Tap on the cloud download to make it happen.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
JoBoy #31355 09/30/14 06:13 PM

I just verified this on my iOS devices. If you look carefully at the cloud icon there an arrow pointing down. The iCloud icon has no arrow. What you are seeing is a Download icon indicating an app you have purchased, but is not currently installed on the particular device. Clicking on the download icon will immediately download the indicated app to your device.

The similarities in the two icons is a bit unfortunate, especially on the smaller iPhone screen. I caught when I looked on my iPad and completely missed it on the iPhone. confused

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31358 10/01/14 03:47 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I have tried multiple times to find the cloud icon, but I cannot now make it appear. Would you please give me the pathway that you use. Are you using iOS 8.0.2? If not, does that really matter in finding the cloud icon?

JoBoy #31362 10/01/14 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JoBoy
I have tried multiple times to find the cloud icon, but I cannot now make it appear. Would you please give me the pathway that you use. Are you using iOS 8.0.2? If not, does that really matter in finding the cloud icon?

You previously indicated you do not have iCloud turned on in any of your devices. That is going to make it well nigh impossible to make the cloud icon appear. If you want to see what it looks like then in your browser go to iCloud.com and a logon window will appear. In that window you will find the cloud icon. Depending on the version of OS X it may also appear in System Preferences > iCloud.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/01/14 03:13 PM.

— Albert Einstein
JoBoy #31365 10/01/14 04:47 PM

From your post on 9/30/14 it sounded as if you were looking at purchases in the App Store.

You can get there again by tapping the App Store app, tapping "Updates" on the bottom right. At the top of the Updates screen is a tappable item that says "Purchased". This will list everything you have downloaded to your iDevices, whether they were free or paid apps. The ones that are no longer on your device but can still be downloaded again will have that iCloud icon with the down pointing arrow in it. Tap that to download the item once again.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #31367 10/01/14 07:12 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I followed your instructions and downloaded Google Maps. I installed it appropriately. At the end of the installation, the black wedge on the icon on the iPhone became progressively smaller until it disappeared. At the moment of disappearance, the icon on my iPhone and the icon in the iTunes list of Home Screens disappeared leaving the icon in the iTunes Apps list intact, but showing "Remove" as though the application is installed in the iPhone. However, I have no way of using an installed app that I can't see. This experience is exactly the one that prompted my first question that started this thread. Joemikeb's post #31274 directed me to a developer's web site, but the term "developer" and the comment that Google does not like to interact directly with their users spooked me. I then spent a week checking out other possibilities in the hope something good would come of it, I really should have followed his advice. I'll try it as soon as I can, but I'm too busy in my work right now to devote the hours I think that effort will take. I have again removed Google Maps from my iPhone. In the meantime, I'm using Apple Maps and it is a lot better than it used to be. Once in while, if there is a prolonged nothing to say between instructions, the Apple Maps lady will make a gratuitous comment that is totally irrelevant to the trip. That happened twice yesterday and it was not a confidence builder, but, when a necessary instruction was due, it performed well.

JoBoy #31372 10/02/14 12:28 AM

Sometimes it is difficult to find an individual app icon amid all the others. It happens to me more often than I want to admit. When that happens I resort to Siri and tell her "open google maps". If Google Maps are there they will appear on your screen. That does not tell you where to find the icon but at least you get the app open. Actually finding which screen and in what, if any, folder Google Maps is in is simply a matter of seek and find.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31503 10/13/14 12:56 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Siri says "You don't seem to have Google Maps. I can see if the app store has it." To which I reply by closing Siri.

I'll now see if I can follow your guidance for reporting a problem. Sorry for the long delay. Too much work.

Re: Problem since upgrading to iOS 8.0.2
joemikeb #31504 10/13/14 03:52 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I followed your instructions carefully, but when I reached the spot where I was to submit a squawk, the choices I was given did not allow me to describe my problem. They all assumed problems that occurred after the app was successfully installed. There was no provision for an ad lib question. My problem involves an unsuccessful installation. I feel locked out. I've been using Apple Maps and it's OK, but I'd rather use Google Maps for several reasons. I never did register for Google Maps, I just entered my destination and proceeded ahead. Is it possible that Google has somehow locked me out? When I do a new download of Google Maps, it begins normally and the icon shows on the iTunes Home Screens and also on the iPhone itself, but after the installation is done, the icons on both my phone and the iTunes Home Screens disappear and the list of installed apps includes Google Maps, but I can't get it to work so I Remove it from the list. This is very strange.

JoBoy #31505 10/13/14 01:44 PM

My wife's iPhone exhibited some inexplicable problems after upgrading to iOS 8. The advice she got from Apple was to do a full reboot (Start by holding the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button until your iPhone quits and reboots). Hopefully that will solve the problem.

If that does not work then a full reset is the next step.
  1. Be sure you have a recent backup of your iPhone. In this case I prefer to backup to my Mac via a USB connection rather than an iCloud backup, but that is purely a personal preference. iTunes > iPhone > Summary > This Computer — Manually Backup and Restore > Backup Now
  2. once you are sure you have a good backup go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings. This will return your iPhone to the factory settings.
  3. Restore the backed up data and settings. Note the restore may take some time to complete depending on how many images and tunes you have on the iPhone.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31506 10/13/14 04:16 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

The full reboot did not work.

I began the protocol for full reset and ran into a road block. I was asked to enter a passcode. I couldn't figure out how to proceed without a passcode and I didn't have one, so I set up a four-digit passcode. That brought me to a second challenge: "Enter your Restrictions Passcode." I must have entered one a long time ago, but I can't find it anywhere and I keep quite good records. I've exhausted six attempts trying things I thought might be it, but they didn't work. I'm stuck and can't go on with the full reset. Any suggestions?

JoBoy #31507 10/13/14 04:56 PM

The best I can come up with is to get an appointment at the Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #31509 10/13/14 05:00 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I thought you would say that, but I was hoping for something else. Thanks for your assists. They are deeply appreciated. Best regards.

JoBoy #31512 10/13/14 10:13 PM

Not sure if this will help OS 7 forgot restrictions passcode
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

joemikeb #31523 10/15/14 10:33 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I went to the Genius Bar and he did the first maneuver you had mentioned. It didn't work. Then he tried some other stuff. Finally, he did some things I couldn't follow and then asked if I'd backed up recently. I told him it was the last thing I did before bringing it to the Apple Store. He told me he could wipe the iPhone clean and then I could take it home and restore it. I told him it was worth a try. Nothing else had worked. I took it home and restored it and the same darn problem happened again. I did the Remove move to get rid of the application that allegedly resides on the iPhone and have decided to use Apple Maps instead and wait on using Google Maps until I get a new iPhone.

I had a brief urge to revert to iOS 7, but I remember the horrific effort it was to revert from Mavericks to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and promptly chose to ignore the urge.

While I was at the Apple Store, I saw the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus. They both look great and either one can still fit in my shirt pocket. That's a purchase that will wait for a while, but they're really good looking items.

Thanks for your help. I still don't know the cause of the problem, but I've decided to move on. Best regards and sincere appreciation.

Last edited by JoBoy; 10/15/14 10:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard