Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Connecting iPAD 3 to Time Capsule
#23866 10/20/12 07:45 AM
MG2009 Online OP
OP Online

Hi:

Is it possible to connect from the iPAD to TIME CAPSULE so that I could (wirelessy) read files which are stored/backed up on the TC using the iPAD?

P.S. By "directly" I mean without having to upload the file(s) to iCLOUD - or some other cyberspace storage - and then retrieve those from there.

Basically, I want to "talk" directly to the Time Capsule from the iPAD. smirk

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: Connecting iPAD 3 to Time Capsule
MG2009 #23868 10/20/12 01:34 PM

As far as I can tell there is no app that supports that. However, this gives you an opportunity to develop and market an app to do that. cool

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #23873 10/21/12 06:55 PM
MG2009 Online OP
OP Online

Bummers.

No chance of me developing that app. I have trouble tying my shoes!!!

laugh

MG2009 #23876 10/21/12 09:02 PM

You do have an interesting idea but given the complexity inherent in Time Machine it would take some pretty sophisticated and knowledgeable developers. It might be worth doing — if one had the requisite skills.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #23878 10/21/12 10:55 PM
MG2009 Online OP
OP Online

There is a free app through the APP STORE which allows one to remotely "configure" the TC using the iPAD and IOS 6.

Therefore: Since it is possible to "get into" the TC to configure it (a file?) using the iPAD, it would seem to me that it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to access other files on the TC . . . er, for someone with the know-how, that is.

Let's see if anyone takes on the challenge. smirk (Of course, if everyone is happy with storing/accessing their iTunes library through iCloud, for example, then my idea is probably dead in the water.)

MG2009 #23882 10/22/12 05:36 AM

I don't know of a way to do this directly. However, you can download the free program LogMeIn on your Mac and also on your iPad, then remote-control the Mac from the iPad and do it that way.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #23884 10/22/12 03:42 PM
MG2009 Online OP
OP Online

Thanks for the info, TACIT.

------------------------

Okay. Here we go, kiddies. I will try my best to give you the scoop on LogMeIn.

Essentially, there are two versions:

1. Basic (which is 'free');
2. Pro (which is around $40)

With either, you need to sign up for a (free) LogMeIn account.

BASIC : This gives the user access to view everything that is in the Computer(s) and/or Time Capsule from an iPAD - wirelessly with an internet or WiFi connection. (There is also an iPHONE app. I do not have one of those, so I am unable to comment further as to what the iPHONE app can or cannot do.)

a. Download and install on the iPad the 'free' LogMeIn app from the App Store;
b. Signup for the 'free' LogMeIn account with the iPAD;
c. Log into your (new) LogMeIn account using the computer to which you wish to have access with the iPAD;
d. Go through the steps to authorize/register the pairing of the computer with the iPAD. (Do this from every computer you want to be able to access with the iPAD.)

Once set up on all machines, the "login" process can be quite cumbersome - hey, it's FREE - 3 or 4 steps on each machine, depending upon how you have your iPAD and computer PASSWORDS set up. To remotely connect the pieces of equipment, each time one needs to login to the LogMeIn Account on the computer as well as the app in the iPAD. (Be sure to have the Time Capsule turned on as well as the WiFi connection in the "General Settings" for the iPAD.) You can have the iPAD, the computer(s) and LogMeIn remember your passwords at various stages, depending on your comfort level with doing so.

Note: Naturally, you will only have access to the computer(s) which you normally would have the (admin) privileges to use. Also, the only computer(s) you can see will be those that are completely up and running; you (duh) cannot, from the iPAD, get to a computer which is off or in sleep mode. And you can only get to one computer at a time. (I only have one computer, so I have not actually tested the aspect of simultaneous use with multiple computers . . . but, I believe, this can't be done.) Finally, the desktop and images on the iPAD load in blocks which can slow you down. Once the images are loaded, however, the quality is quite acceptable.

When you have logged in, from the iPAD you can click with the onscreen mouse - until your heart's content - into any file or folder on the computer(s) . . . including getting to what is backed up in the Time Capsule through the computer's Time Machine application.

However, with the free BASIC version - after the PRO trial period expires - files can only be transferred to the iPAD using "The Cloud." (Not unlike iCLOUD . . . same idea of uploading from the computer to Cyberspace and then downloading from there to the iPAD.) And, of course, you can only transfer files which are in formats that can be read on the iPAD (i.e. PDF, JPEG, ePUB, others?). From what I understand so far: If you want to bypass the whole "Cloud" routine - which was my original objective - then you have to purchase the PRO version. (However, there is a little workaround that is described at the bottom of this review.)

PRO :

With this 'paid' version, one can view the authorized computers from the iPAD as well as transfer files - either directly or through "The Cloud." There is a 15-day trial period for the PRO version, but I have not yet explored the possibilities, so cannot comment on any/all of those features at this time.

WORKAROUND :

Once you have logged into the iPAD, the computer and the LogMeIn account, you can see everything on the computer and/or Time Capsule (through Time Machine). Whatever is displayed on the computer screen will be shown on the iPAD screen. Using the LogMeIn's screen mouse and iPAD monitor, click to the file you want to view. Then, simultaneously press both the MENU and POWER buttons on the iPAD to take a screenshot - which is automatically saved to the PHOTOS folder on the iPAD for viewing thereafter.

You can also listen to any music files you have stored in the computer or Time Capsule with the iPAD. However, with the BASIC version of LogMeIn, the music file has not actually been transferred to the iPAD. It will be playing on both the iPAD and the computer at the same time . . . so make sure you have the volume 'muted' on the computer, unless you wish to hear both sets of speakers - which, indeed, could be handy if you want to listen to music on the iPAD (in the east wing of your home) while someone else (in the west wing) is listening to the same tunes on the computer.

P.S. The same process could be used to view videos from the computer, but images and sound are broken up. (Don't bother.)

When you are done your session, LOGOUT of the LogMeIn web page on the computer; also LOGOUT of the app on the iPAD.

Well, that's about it for now. Please feel free to comment if I have made any errors in my assessment of the LogMeIn app OR if you make any other related discoveries which might be useful for us to know.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard