for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Download/update confusion
#21037 03/10/12 04:03 PM
OP Offline

Good Morning, I hope that someone can explain an odd situation! Question #1 - Yesterday, I used software update on an iPad-2 to go to OS 5.1; no problem. In the afternoon I did the same on an iPad; also no problem. Last evening, I picked up the iPhone 4S that had been turned on but not in use during the afternoon and when I went to software update to start the process I got an alert that said I had already downloaded 5.1 and did I want to install ? I had not used the phone, did not download anything that I was aware of,but it had ( the untouched phone) already downloaded 5.1, and all I did was then say yes to "Install" and the process was completed. How did 5.1 get there? Question #2 I have installed the Beta version of iMessage on the Mac and both iPads . When I use it to send a message to the iPhone, the message will appear on both iPads. I do NOT have iCloud, but I do seem to recall that last year, before I updated the Mac to Lion, I installed a Beta version of what was going to eventually be iCloud. I never kept a record of that install but I am almost sure I did try out the app. When I use spotlight to search the Mac I find no trace of such a Beta app, however. Everything works fine, but I would feel better if I understood how and why it works the way it does. Thanks Dave

Re: Download/update confusion
RichboroDave #21038 03/10/12 04:33 PM

Question #1:
I had the same experience. Downloaded and installed iOS 5.1 on one iPhone and an iPod Touch. Hours later went to do it on a second iPhone and the System Preferences badge showed a red "1" indicating a system update was available. It was already downloaded and required a very short installation time.

I reacted as you did and the only thoughts I had were that all my devices have the same iTunes/App Store account ID and this resulted in the download; or that System updates are passively sent (if you wait long enough for them) but require an action to install.

Interestingly strange, indeed.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard