FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tried an iPad
#10189 05/27/10 11:42 AM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

My first visit to the mall since the iPad was introduced... I don't go shopping much. So I had to stop at the AS for a tryout. Now, mind you, I don't have an iPhone or iPod of any kind. With a little help, I got my e-mail web page loaded, but then neither I nor the clerk could get it to scroll. I wasn't surprised. This web site doesn't completely play nice with the full version of Safari on my Mac. But, I was disappointed. I didn't even try FTM on the iPad. Why bother? I'm not changing my e-mail. frown

Re: Tried an iPad
Gregg #10191 05/27/10 02:41 PM

Did you try two fingers for scrolling?
(necessary inside certain text fields)

Hal Itosis #10194 05/27/10 03:58 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, but it didn't work. What I really wanted to do is adjust the "fields" in the window like I can with a mouse. I might "window shop" again, next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Gregg #10196 05/27/10 05:22 PM

I use my iPod for e-mail and even if you have a web-based e-mail account it is still possible to set up the Mail app to retrieve mail. This is much easier and nicer than going to the web site, both of which I have done. You may have to buy to try, but the Mail app works nicely.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #10225 05/29/10 12:50 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira, that's a good thought. I've never set up Mail on my Mac, so I hadn't thought of that. I'd also like to test drive this site on the iPad sometime.

Gregg #10229 05/29/10 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg
...I'd also like to test drive this site on the iPad sometime.

Looks and acts just like on the computer, only smaller.

...JER (-: >
...JER #10231 05/29/10 05:01 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: ...JER
only smaller.

Yeah. Especially the virtual keyboard! That's why I want to try it out. And to find out how much I can see when it's at a legible size for me.

Gregg #10238 05/29/10 09:18 PM

The keyboard is plenty big, but I can't feel the keys so I 2 finger type. As far as the message size goes, I can see it fine. You can make it as big as you want, but it doesn't re-wrap the line. You have to slide your finger to scroll. Definition is actually sharper than my LCD monitor.

...JER #10254 05/30/10 08:55 PM

Using my wife's iPad 3G I can cruise this site as well as any other site that does not use Flash to my heart's content. Like ...JER I end up two fingering the typing, not because I can't feel the keypad, but because I have a bad habit of resting my fingers on the keyboard. On the iPad, if you touch the keyboard you type. I suspect that with more experience on the iPad I will get over that habit. My wife got the keyboard and dock because she had read some were not thrilled with the on-screen keyboard, but she only used it one or two days and now uses the screen keyboard exclusively.

We have Mail setup with all of my wife's accounts as well as mine and it works perfectly just as on our iPhones. The main difference between Mail on the iPad and Mail on the Mac is on the iPad (or iPhone) there is no common Inbox or other Mailbox for all the accounts. You have to manually switch between accounts.

I am not a big a fan of the iPad as my wife, but I still like it very much. The screen and keyboard size make it a lot easier to see and use. I have said that when Back-To-My-Mac worked on the iPad there would be very little reason for our MacBook Air and I recently found the $25 iTeleport app that works through a GMail account instead of MobileMe and with that, I can now access my desktop Mac from Walt Disney World to run programs and access data. It works on both the iPhone and iPad and on 3G the screen refresh rate is painfully slow, often leading me to think it is not working when it is. Using WiFi it is acceptable. iTeleport lacks some of the Back-To-My-Mac features, but it does work for limited purposes.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10365 06/03/10 11:23 AM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I end up two fingering the typing, not because I can't feel the keypad, but because I have a bad habit of resting my fingers on the keyboard.

If I ever bought one, I'd probably opt for the keyboard dock after the first hint of frustration with the on screen keypad. I need to look at one that's docked. I would hope that when docked to a keyboard, the keypad is automatically disabled when you touch a typing field, or whatever you're supposed to call an area where you need to type.

Gregg #10368 06/03/10 02:33 PM

I would hope that when docked to a keyboard, the keypad is automatically disabled when you touch a typing field, or whatever you're supposed to call an area where you need to type.

Nope, you just have an alternate means of typing. I talked to a friend who works at an Apple Store and he indicated the iPad keyboards are definitely NOT flying off of the shelves.

Instead of the iPad dock/keyboard I would personally prefer the little Apple wireless keyboard for use with the iPad. That gives me a thought, I will have to see if one will pair with the iPad. I'll let you know what I find.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10371 06/03/10 04:41 PM

ext keyboard isn't going to work well if you don't have a way to stand up the ipad in the first place. So using the dock with a usb keyboard would seem appropriate?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
joemikeb #10375 06/03/10 04:49 PM

Instead of the iPad dock/keyboard I would personally prefer the little Apple wireless keyboard for use with the iPad. That gives me a thought, I will have to see if one will pair with the iPad. I'll let you know what I find.

The iPad has Bluetooth, so it should pair up fine. The user manual just mentions headsets & headphones.

Last edited by ...JER; 06/03/10 05:02 PM.

Virtual1 #10383 06/04/10 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
ext keyboard isn't going to work well if you don't have a way to stand up the ipad in the first place
Apples iPad Case ($39) is excellent and will support the iPad in a near vertical position in landscape mode. So it should work with any compatible keyboard except Apple's Apple's Keyboard Dock. FWIW the Apple Store online lists Apple's Wireless Keyboard as an iPad Accessory

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #10401 06/05/10 12:52 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I would hope that when docked to a keyboard, the keypad is automatically disabled when you touch a typing field, or whatever you're supposed to call an area where you need to type.

Nope, you just have an alternate means of typing.

They really need to fix that!

Gregg #11519 08/20/10 08:40 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

MacWorld, Sept. 2010

"Using the Apple Wireless Keyboard is a joy. It's as responsive as typing on a MacBook, and you can see more because the software keyboard isn't taking up screen space."

Gregg #11629 09/02/10 02:12 PM

I have paired my Apple wireless keyboard (the very small one that Apple now ships with its new computers) to my iPad, and it works flawlessly. I prefer typing on it to using the on-screen keyboard, which provides no finger feedback.

2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook w/ 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD, OS 10.6.4
2.8 GHz 27" Intel iMac with 4GB Ram, OS 10.6.4, 1 TB HD; 500 GB and 150GB external LaCie FW HD's
Airport Extreme + Airport Express + ethernet, cable broadband

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard