for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
now is the time for all good menu
#43405 01/18/17 06:50 PM
OP Offline

I'm still not used to my new touchbar MacBook and it continues to surprise me. I was composing an email, a bug report to a developer. I ended the message with "I think that's a bug." I looked up briefly and noticed my touchbar was more colorful than usual. Hey, it's displaying a red ladybug. And is that... a green caterpillar? That thing to the left of the green thing, looks like an ant. Why is it doing that?

Took me awhile to realize it was keying off the last word I had typed, "bug", and was offering emoticons at the quick. Okay that's kinda fun I suppose. I'll toss some :bugs: in with my bugs.

How far can this go I wonder. I started with a blank line, and noticed only "I" and "If" were suggested. ok go with "if". I let it ride until it repeated a word.

If you want to get it out there in a bit here that I could use for a while ago or even more information on that list and the app store and it works well for the new computer software

well okay then. This could be quite useful if tied into an automated telemarketer answering system I think. But it never seems to know how to end a sentence - it just makes giant run-ons.

But seriously..... in mail, almost any noun (or emotion) you type seems to come up with several appropriate emoticons. I know, some of you will be saying why didn't you already know that? but hey, this is new to me.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: now is the time for all good menu
Virtual1 #43407 01/18/17 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
...some of you will be saying why didn't you already know that? but hey, this is new to me.

Since you've brought up the touch bar's functionality I'll ask if its presence means that the "f" keys (that I use as hot keys) are gone, which is how it appears to me.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43414 01/19/17 01:34 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Since you've brought up the touch bar's functionality I'll ask if its presence means that the "f" keys (that I use as hot keys) are gone, which is how it appears to me.

if you press the Fn key (lower left), the touch bar switches to F keys.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #43416 01/19/17 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

if you press the Fn key (lower left), the touch bar switches to F keys.

Thanks. I just found a video on Apple's website that I had missed before that shows that.

More: It looks like the "expanded" functionality of the "f" keys remains intact but some of its basic functionality, i.e. that depicted on the keys, has been eliminated.

Last edited by artie505; 01/19/17 03:25 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #43417 01/19/17 05:27 PM

Took me awhile to realize it was keying off the last word I had typed, "bug", and was offering emoticons at the quick. Okay that's kinda fun I suppose. I'll toss some :bugs: in with my bugs.

iOS 10 offers this in at least its text messages. Any word for which it thinks there is an appropriate emoji, it highlights in orange. Tap the word and it is replaced by the graphic.

How far can this go I wonder. I started with a blank line, and noticed only "I" and "If" were suggested. ok go with "if". I let it ride until it repeated a word.

This was a game in which a few of us on this site engaged in awhile back, using iPhones or iPads. In Messages type one letter, make a choice of words from the three offered; Messages then auto-suggests three more, choose, etc.
We posted some of the "poetry" that resulted.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard