FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Snow Leopard to Maverick
#30196 05/30/14 12:26 AM
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline

I am using a five-year old MacBook [late 2009] currently running Snow Leopard v 10.6.8.

I have 114.60 GB available on the MacBook , model identifier 5.1. Build 10K549
Disk Utility found no problems.
I have current back ups via Carbon Copy Cloner to
an external HD.

Yesterday, I bought a MacBook Pro Retina 13 inch.

For the past ten days I have read as much as I could about transferring data to the new MacBook Pro, but am getting conflicting information as to whether or not I can go directly from Snow Leopard to Maverick, or if I must first up date through Lion and Mountain Lion.

Ideally I would like for Maverick on the MacBook Pro to just suck up what it can from 10.6.8 on the MacBook, so I can keep Snow Leopard on the MacBook with software that cannot be transferred to the MacBook Pro, but is that is doable or advisable.

Sorry about so many questions, having originally started with a desktop mac running OS8. and with much help from the sadly missed MacFixit, I now cannot believe how much I have forgotten - so any advice you can offer will be gratefully received.
Kate

Re: Snow Leopard to Maverick
Kate #30197 05/30/14 02:15 PM

First off, I have not done a data migration like this myself, so I am not familiar with Mavericks specifics (I hope others will add helpful info). That said, data migration from Macs running older OSes to Macs running the current OS is (and has been) a fairly straightforward procedure, as described here and in the links listed.

For data migration, there is no need to update your source Mac's OS to a version newer than what you got (Snow Leopard). If you want to upgrade the OS to Mavericks anyway (something you said you don't), you need Snow Leopard or higher as a starting point. Either way, you're all set to go!

alternaut moderator
alternaut #30215 06/02/14 08:54 AM
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you.
All went well. To be on the safe side I did upgrade to Mavericks v10.9.3 before running the data migration.

Many bells and whistle on Maverick, so am on a steep learning curve, but so far,so good.

Kate #30367 06/21/14 01:36 AM
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline

Addit - all did not go well - please see my next post
‘New to Mavericks’in this thread.
Kate

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard