for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Keychain for MacMail
#28374 03/13/14 03:42 PM
OP Offline

I put a new drive in my 13" 2010 MacBook Pro (specs in signature below) and now what it does is when I quit mail it asks me for my administrator password to re-open it. Messed around with keychain access, not getting right settings?

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
Re: Keychain for MacMail
slolerner #28384 03/13/14 07:25 PM

I know there has been discussion going on here about the efficacy of repairing permissions, but that would be the first thing I would try.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
slolerner #28385 03/13/14 08:56 PM

How did you put the new hard drive in? What process did you use to get the information from the old hard drive to the new?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #28393 03/14/14 06:23 AM
OP Offline

Yeah, when I repair permissions, I just get the usual list of 'fixed' things that appear every time.

I used Silverlining to back up everything from the 500GB WD that was in the 15" MBP that went down 'in flames' because I wasn't sure if the TM backups were corrupted.

Did a clean install of SL with updates and moved just what I needed from that Silverlining backup, including email, itunes, etc. onto this 13" that had a 250 GB drive. The email was corrupted, things in the wrong box, etc. Straightened it out by hand. Everything was working fine. Then I backed up that 250GB SATA.

I swapped out the old 500GB for a new 750GB with WD. I did a seven-pass zero out and formatting on the new 750GB drive externally using a Newer Tech cabling set just to make sure it was good. Put it inside with larger RAM chips, did a clean install of SL with all the updates. Moved the mail, iTunes, address book and their .plist's from the backup of the 250GB, the one where I had sorted out all the corrupted mail. All good. That's the only problem, prompts for admin password when launched.

Last edited by slolerner; 03/14/14 06:28 AM. Reason: wasn't clear

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #28396 03/14/14 10:08 AM

Did you repair user permissions rather than use Disk Utility? For a good discussion, see this thread. Boot from the recovery partition and select Reset Password from the Utilities menu (I know, it sounds irrelevant but that's the way Apple designed it). You can repair user permissions from there.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #28397 03/14/14 10:28 AM

I think slolerner's problem is with a Snowy volume, in which case she's got to boot from her install disc to repair home folder permissions. (I'll be as shocked as ganbustein if it helps.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
slolerner #28402 03/14/14 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
I put a new drive in my 13" 2010 MacBook Pro (specs in signature below) and now what it does is when I quit mail it asks me for my administrator password to re-open it.

Are you sure it's asking for your administrator password? If so, that doesn't sound like a keychain problem.

How exactly are you re-opening Mail? (Through an alias? Through the Dock?) Check that you're opening the correct copy of Mail, the one in /Applications/Mail.app.

If it's asking for your keychain password, that means Mail is trying to retrieve something from a keychain that is currently locked. Entering that keychain's password will allow the data to be retrieved, but will not unlock the keychain. Each new request for information from that keychain will be mediated by a new "enter password" dialog.

Normally, all the keychain items that mail is interested in will be stored in the default keychain, the default keychain will be the login keychain (at ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain), and it will be unlocked. You need to verify that all three of those conditions are met.

In Keychain Access, look at the list of keychains in the sidebar of the main window. There should be only one keychain named "login", it should be bold (indicating that it's the default), and it should be unlocked.

If you have multiple "login" keychains (or, for that matter, other keychains than the standard Snow Leopard complement of "login", "System", and "System Roots"), use the Edit→Keychain List menu item to get a list of all of them. ("System Roots" won't show on the list.) All of the keychains in the list should be in /Library/Keychains or ~/Library/Keychains. You can delete keychains from the list by selecting them and pressing the [-] button below the list. This removes the keychain from the list, but does not delete the keychain itself.

The problem with having extraneous keychains in the list is that when an application (say, Mail) wants an item from "the keychain", it merely asks for the item. It does not normally specify or even know which keychain the item is in. It's up to the security system to figure out which keychain, of those in the list, has the item. If that keychain is locked, it puts up an "Enter the password for keychain ..." dialog (emphasis added). Supplying the correct password for that keychain retrieves the item, but does not unlock the keychain. The next request to get information from that keychain produces another "Enter password" dialog. This can be frustrating if the login keychain for a different user or on a different disk volume has some info that is not also in the normal login keychain.

If your login keychain is not the default (that is, not bold), make it the default. Select it from the sidebar, and apply the menu item Edit→Make Keychain "login" Default.

If your login keychain is locked, find out why. Your login keychain is normally unlocked automatically at login, but only if its keychain password is the same as your login password. This is the only keychain that is ever automatically unlocked. (The OS knows the encryption keys for "System" and "System Roots" and can access them without unlocking them.) Select your (locked) login keychain, and click on the large locked padlock at the top. Verify that entering your login password unlocks the keychain. That will prove that the two passwords are the same.

If the passwords match, it was automatically unlocked at login but must have locked itself later. Select the login keychain and use the menu item Edit→Change Settings for Keychain "login"... to see why.

ganbustein #28404 03/14/14 08:50 PM
OP Offline

You nailed it! I 'poofed' the Mail icon from the menu bar and dragged one in from the Apps folder. Done.

BTW, the keychains were exactly as you described. It was the admin password it kept asking for and then if I quit mail it would ask for it again after mail was launched, I think as soon as mail was ready to download; it would not allow any mail to enter the mailboxes.

SnoLerner/SloLeopard

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #28453 03/18/14 04:53 PM
OP Offline

Hey Ganbustein,

Good thing you went through the whole explanation. Getting rid of the Mail icon in the dock (I called it the menu bar by mistake in my last posting) worked for a little while. Then it started happening again. I had to pull the login.keychain out of the user library and trash it. I restarted and put in passwords as they were asked for and stored them. Seems okay now.

I only dragged over the Mail and Address Book files and their corresponding p.list's from the corrupted drive. I don't know how the keychain got corrupted.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard