FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Finder Sidebar in Mtn Lion
#22773 07/28/12 07:55 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Just feeling my way cautiously around Mountain Lion and all seems fine except for my Finder window sidebar which is strangely missing the usual icons for the items. The item text is OK.

I may well have somehow tweaked them in Lion (made them colourful perhaps?) but with what I cannot recall. There's no app that I can see on my iMac that would do this.

Is this a feature of ML and, if it isn't, does anyone know how to get them back? I have seen many references in the past to trashing the finder preference file as a troubleshooting method but have never had reason to do so. So ! was going to do this until I noticed there was also a finder plist "lock file" pref. Which do I trash?

Re: Finder Sidebar in Mtn Lion
andycap #22789 07/28/12 07:15 PM

I have not encountered that with Mountain Lion, but on one Mac some of the preference settings were changed after the installation. confused

Check Finder > Preferences and see what is checked and you may have to drag some of the items from the drive to the sidebar.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
andycap #22791 07/28/12 08:03 PM

Expanding on joemike's post, have you tried dragging the items you've now got in your sidebar out and replacing them?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #22795 07/28/12 11:11 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for those suggestions Joemike and artie505. I've checked the Finder Preferences and nothing's changed. The sidebar items can't be dragged off and nothing can be dragged onto into the sidebar either. Hiding and unhiding the sidebar doesn't fix it, neither does trashing the finder plist and restarting the Finder. Also repaired permissions.

Interestingly, I saw something on MacUpdate this morning called SideEffects which promises to colourise the Sidebar icons. User comments indicate a few problems with SIMBL installation. SIMBL? I want nothing to do with something like that so shortly after installing ML!

Anyway, while missing sidebar icons are not a show stopper, it's annoying...

andycap #22796 07/28/12 11:53 PM

> ...neither does trashing the finder plist and restarting the Finder.

Restarting Finder isn't sufficient; you've got to log out/in at the least, but I suggest shutting down and starting back up just to cover all bases.

Hope this helps.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
andycap #22797 07/29/12 12:31 AM

Hold the presses... I just remembered that there's a com.apple.sidebarlists.plist (in Snowy, anyhow), which may be your problem if your Finder plist is not.

Again, trash it and either log out/in, restart, or shut down and start up.

Last edited by artie505; 07/29/12 12:33 AM. Reason: "either"

andycap #22798 07/29/12 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: andycap
The sidebar items can't be dragged off and nothing can be dragged onto into the sidebar either.

That behavior is not an artifact of Mountain Lion or at least it does not present itself on the Mountain Lion installations here. So something is definitely amiss. Try logging onto a test account and see if you can drag items on and off the sidebar. If that works in the test account then it is almost certain you have a scrambled preference file. Probably com.apple.finder.plist.

As to colorizing items in the sidebar. mine have always been black and white, so I am afraid I cannot help you there.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
andycap #22799 07/29/12 05:19 AM

The sidebar items can't be dragged off and nothing can be dragged onto into the sidebar either.

You probably know this already, but just for the sake of completeness...

Starting with Lion, you need to hold down the command key to drag things off the sidebar. Apple noticed that too many people were accidentally dragging things off the sidebar, and then couldn't figure out how to put them back, so they made it a little harder to do that accidentally.

I read somewhere that Mountain Lion was going to start requiring the command key to drag things off the Dock, too, for the same reason, but apparently that didn't make the final cut.

I can't think of many reasons why you wouldn't be able to drag items to the sidebar, though. The only thing I can think of is: you have to drag from the body of a Finder window. The desktop counts as a Finder window. (Thus, you cannot drag from the proxy icon in a document window, from the Dock, not even from a stack that sprouts from the Dock, from the sidebar itself, from the toolbar of a Finder window, from the Spotlight menu's found items menu, or from a Get Info window, and maybe a few other places.)

You also cannot add to the sidebar anything the OS can't make an alias to; that would probably include files residing on some "non-Mac" filesystems.

ganbustein #22800 07/29/12 05:24 AM

> Starting with Lion, you need to hold down the command key to drag things off the sidebar.

That behavior was actually introduced in Snowy.

Edit: But it was an important point to make, nonetheless.

Last edited by artie505; 07/29/12 05:40 AM.

artie505 #22801 07/29/12 06:38 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Again thanks all. I've now tried trashing finder and sidebar plists, restarting each time and taking note of the Command requirement for dragging things on and off the sidebar. I have also determined that the aberrant behaviour is occurring in my Test Account as well. Hmm.

My last resort has been to reinstall ML (from a copy made for a USB ML boot drive before original installation). Still the same!

Perhaps I should now turn to the Recovery partition...

or indeed the USB boot drive

Last edited by andycap; 07/29/12 06:40 AM.
ganbustein #22802 07/29/12 07:42 AM

I thought ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist was a likely candidate for corruption, because in my Snowy it apparently accumulates data forever, i.e.

Code:
<dict>
				<key>Alias</key>
				<data>
				AAAAAADYAAMAAQAAw7a6PQAASCsAAAAFAAAAAQAAAAIA
				AMO2uj0AAAAADQL//gAAAAAAAAAA/////wABAAAADgAy
				ABgAUwBlAGMAdQByAGkAdAB5ACAAVQBwAGQAYQB0AGUA
				IAAyADAAMAA4AC0AMAAwADEADwAyABgAUwBlAGMAdQBy
				AGkAdAB5ACAAVQBwAGQAYQB0AGUAIAAyADAAMAA4AC0A
				MAAwADEAEgAAABMAIS9Wb2x1bWVzL1NlY3VyaXR5IFVw
				ZGF0ZSAyMDA4LTAwMQD//wAA
				</data>
				<key>EntryType</key>
				<integer>1027</integer>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>Security Update 2008-001</string>
			</dict>

with which I haven't dealt since 2008.

I can't be certain, but it kinda looks like everything that's ever gotten into my sidebar has left its footprint in my plist.

If this behavior persists in ML, and if you consider it to be a bug, would you mind reporting it to Apple in my stead? (Edit: Because you can send them a current file, and I can't.)

Last edited by artie505; 07/29/12 08:12 PM.

artie505 #22803 07/29/12 10:08 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Ah ha, nailed it. Following a recommendation in an Apple Support Community discussion on the same issue "Sidebar icons missing" (isn't Google and Safari 6 marvellous!), I deleted this:

Library / Application Support / SIMBL / Plugins / ColorfulSidebar.bundle

and restarted. Voila, icons back. Memo to self - uncoloured sidebar icons are quite OK, avoid hacks.

Thanks all for your interest and help.

andycap #22804 07/29/12 05:29 PM

Happy to hear that; thanks for filling us in.

I guess the SIMBL package was part of the app you didn't recall having installed in Lion.

Edit: Don't take that the wrong way...I'm not rubbing it in, merely pointing out that there may be other parts of that app left on your iMac that you may want to delete.

artie505 #22808 07/30/12 11:16 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
there may be other parts of that app left on your iMac that you may want to delete.

Thanks, I'll certainly be having a search (but not with Spotlight!). And not only for that particular app's do dos. For example while opening finder windows all over the place to investigate the sidebar issue I noticed 2 odd files sitting at the top level of my drive named ~ and 1 respectively. One's empty and the other contains thousands of funny looking zeros. No matter, they are not causing any problems...

andycap #22809 07/30/12 02:04 PM

Thanks, I'll certainly be having a search (but not with Spotlight!. And not only for that particular app's do dos.

I have found CleanApp to be an excellent tool for removal of applications, duplicate files, empty folders et cetera. As I recall, I first started using it after a recommendation at this site.

CleanApp provides different kinds of searches and locates everything associated with what it finds in a particular search. It provides cautions for items that you should not delete - e.g. if they are shared by other applications.

......worth a look.

Last edited by ryck; 07/30/12 02:08 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
andycap #22823 07/30/12 11:34 PM

> (but not with Spotlight!)

Check out EasyFind...great app and free.

Don't forget that you may be able to now get SIMBL off your iMac along with the rest of that app.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard