for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Silent screenshots
#13909 01/24/11 09:56 AM
OP Online

When I wake my deuced Mac(hina) from sleep, the first screenshot I take, sometimes the first one in each app, command-control-shift-4, generally, is not accompanied by the usual shutter sound.

This issue has survived countless restarts, even re-runnings of the 10.6.6 Combo.

I haven't got a clue where to begin looking.

Anybody?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Silent screenshots
artie505 #13915 01/24/11 06:18 PM

I think that goes in with the general category of "interface sound effects". I've noticed that after restart, certain things clearly aren't cached yet and have delayed reactions, such as those sounds. I've never seen an issue of them stopping working after the first one though, but it's probably a caching problem. No idea where to start looking to fix it, sorry.

try toggling the 'use interface sound fx' as a start?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #13925 01/25/11 05:42 AM
OP Online

> I've never seen an issue of them stopping working after the first one though, [....]

Nor have I; after the first time I hear the shutter sound it is consistent.

I'll play some and post back if I learn anything.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #13954 01/27/11 07:42 AM
OP Online

> try toggling the 'use interface sound fx' as a start?

I've now tried that a few times with no consistent results.

Oh, well; it's not like it's all that important...certainly not important enough to either lose sleep over or invest time trying to fix.

Thanks for your input.

artie505 #14010 02/03/11 04:29 AM

As a quick and dirty experiment, the first thing I'd try is rebooting the computer in Safe mode (with the shift key), then afterward immediately rebooting normally.

Rebooting in Safe mode instructs the computer to flush caches. I've found that it often fixes weird, intermittent problems of the "X doesn't work the first time I try it but does work the second time." I haven't had the sound problem you describe, but it's worth a shot.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #14015 02/03/11 06:33 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
As a quick and dirty experiment, the first thing I'd try is rebooting the computer in Safe mode (with the shift key), then afterward immediately rebooting normally.

Rebooting in Safe mode instructs the computer to flush caches. I've found that it often fixes weird, intermittent problems of the "X doesn't work the first time I try it but does work the second time." I haven't had the sound problem you describe, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no joy. frown (I tried applejack AUTO a bit back, also with no joy.)

artie505 #14018 02/03/11 10:40 AM

Quote:
...command-control-shift-4...

Have you tried Command-Shift-4 under the same circumstances? Perhaps the anomalous behavior is somehow related to your clipboard management software; taking a screenshot whose output is to a "standard" file would presumably not manifest the symptom in that case.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
tacit #14028 02/03/11 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Rebooting in Safe mode instructs the computer to flush caches. I've found that it often fixes weird, intermittent problems.....

Would this be a process that a person should think about as part of periodic preventive maintenance? I find there are times when my machine will do something oddball but not repeat it. I don't sweat it because I figure the machine took care of its own problem.

Or is it better to follow the "If it ain't broke....." philosophy?

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 02/03/11 11:57 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #14046 02/04/11 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

Would this be a process that a person should think about as part of periodic preventive maintenance? I find there are times when my machine will do something oddball but not repeat it. I don't sweat it because I figure the machine took care of its own problem.

I suspect you will get a wide range of opinions on preventative maintenance. There are several utilities such as OnyX, Cocktail, and TinkerTool System that will flush the various cache files and are far more selective about which ones you want to flush. Cocktail can even be setup to perform those flushes automatically on schedule. Certainly periodic flushing of cache files will not hurt.

Personally I have always considered rebooting in Safe Mode as a troubleshooting technique rather than preventative maintenance. In other words, "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
dkmarsh #14066 02/05/11 09:29 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:
...command-control-shift-4...

Have you tried Command-Shift-4 under the same circumstances? Perhaps the anomalous behavior is somehow related to your clipboard management software; taking a screenshot whose output is to a "standard" file would presumably not manifest the symptom in that case.

I laughed when I saw that... How intuitive, yet it never occurred to me; thanks. smile

(I'm not ignoring your suggestion; it'll take a period of experimentation before I can report on its success or failure.)

artie505 #14369 02/25/11 07:17 AM
OP Online

Update... I had a major problem with dkmarsh's suggestion, because I couldn't remember to follow it, but I will say that I believe that every command-shift-4 screenshot I remembered to take was accompanied by a shutter click.

In view of that, and despite the fact that it didn't seem particularly logical that a conflict with Butler, my "clipboard management software," would silence only the first of many command-control-shift-4 shutter clicks, I quit and relaunched Butler, cleared its cache, restarted my deuced Mac(hina), and ran "applejack AUTO," all with no joy.

I then had a brain - or whatever passes therefor - storm and unchecked "Copy picture of selected area to the clipboard" in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Screenshots, restarted, rechecked the pref, and have not missed a shutter click since I did so. smile

Hope this helps somebody else.

Last edited by artie505; 02/25/11 07:20 AM. Reason: Cleanup

artie505 #14521 03/03/11 09:13 PM
OP Online

Update...

False alarm... Well, sorta.

I still miss the first shutter click on rare occasion...nowhere near as often as I did when I first posted.

Oh, well... I guess I'll just live with it. frown

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard