for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How To Remove Classic From Old PB
#10455 06/09/10 06:37 PM
OP Offline

I have an old PB 10.3.9 that I am going to give to a granddaughter.

The PB also has Classic on it that I want to purge as I/she will need the room.

If I recall correctly, I can do this by:
1. Deleting Applications (OS 9)
2. Deleting the System Folder, NOT the "System" (that has an X on it).

Is that correct?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: How To Remove Classic From Old PB
Pendragon #10457 06/09/10 07:43 PM

Why not do an erase and clean install with the original PB 10.3.x System discs? During the process do not select (or de-select) the OS 9 install option.

With this process you will have the most space available. Yes, you might have to re-install some third part applications, but at least your old remnants will not be around.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #10460 06/09/10 08:12 PM
OP Offline

I had hoped to do just as you suggested Ira, but somehow in my move 18 months ago I have misplaced or lost the original discs. Also, I have some old/installed SW that I prefer to keep.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #10472 06/10/10 07:56 AM

Yes, that (removing the "System Folder" and "Applications (OS 9)" folders) is correct.

But your granddaughter is someday going to need those install discs. Keep looking. You haven't really given her the computer until you give her the matching install discs.

ganbustein #10476 06/10/10 11:33 AM
OP Offline

Many thanks guys. I think I've got it.

FYI, I also removed the classic pref pane & the classic startup.app.

And indeed your right Ganbustein re the install discs. Alas, the old Lombard came with 9.2.2, and finding that disc is most unlikely.

I am also looking on Craig's List for a used computer as a replacement for this old critter as I doubt it will last much longer, and the first question I ask pertains to the original install discs. Maybe if I practice what I preach. Nah...

Harv

Pendragon #10521 06/12/10 10:27 PM
OP Offline

As a bit of a postscript, should one ever care…

After all was done and joy returned had to the land, I had an alias file (Mac OS 9) that I could not delete. I could delete it, sorta. But when I restarted, it returned, as if by magic.

After some sleuthing about, I discovered it was a symbolic link. To permanently nuke that rascal, I had to resort to using the Terminal sudo rm –r technique.

And now, all is sweetness & light-

Harv

Pendragon #10547 06/15/10 05:51 PM

Interesting with the alias, I wonder why that would not go away? I know you can run into the opposite problem if you use terminal... I had a symlink to a picture, and i deleted the link with rm. Instead of the link going away, the picture did. no trashcan either. (and no backup... *sigh* I really liked that pick, one of my early bests with digital camera!) That was actually my original instigation to start backing up my data.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #10549 06/15/10 06:25 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Interesting with the alias, I wonder why that would not go away?

Perhaps one clue/reason the alias would not go away, is that the original could not be found. When I tied to "Show Original", nothing happened. Nada. Zilch. No pinwheel. No nothin.

Perhaps that makes sense to others, but indeed that is the first time I have had a problem deleting an alias, even when the original no longer existed. confused

Harv

Pendragon #10554 06/16/10 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
After all was done and joy returned had to the land, I had an alias file (Mac OS 9) that I could not delete. I could delete it, sorta. But when I restarted, it returned, as if by magic.

Through Tiger, there is a startup script /etc/rc that runs automatically at startup. It used to be common (but dangerous) to customize the startup behavior by editing this file. The functions of /etc/rc have since been delegated to launchctl, and the file itself no longer exists.

But here's a snippet taken from /etc/rc on my Tiger machine:
Code:
# if "/Desktop Folder" exists and has contents, make sure there is a
#   "/Desktop (Mac OS 9)" symlink to it
# if "/Desktop Folder" does not exist, exists but has no contents, or exists
#   and has only a single file, ".DS_Store" then there should be no
#   "/Desktop (Mac OS 9)" symlink
# if there is some other file or directory with the name "/Desktop (Mac OS 9)"
#   then just exit
needlink=0
if [ -d "/Desktop Folder" ]; then
        needlink=$(ls -a1 "/Desktop Folder" | wc -l)
        if [ "${needlink}" -eq 3 ]; then
                if [ -f "/Desktop Folder/.DS_Store" ]; then
                        needlink=0
                fi
        fi
fi

if [ "${needlink}" -lt 3 ]; then
        if [ -h "/Desktop (Mac OS 9)" ]; then
                rm -f "/Desktop (Mac OS 9)"
        fi
else
        if ! [ -e "/Desktop (Mac OS 9)" ]; then
                ln -s "/Desktop Folder" "/Desktop (Mac OS 9)"
        fi
fi

The reason for the rigmarole is that "/Desktop Folder" is normally invisible, and without a visible alias to it there's no way to access its contents from the OS X side. But on the other hand, if it's empty, you don't need access and the alias is just a nuisance.

ganbustein #10558 06/16/10 11:13 AM
OP Offline

Many thanks ganbustein! Most informative. I understand the gist of your comments, though the detail eludes me. Still, 'tis a mystery (to me) that can now be to rest.

Re the Install Disc. I continued my hunt for where my wife hid that rascal, and finally, voilà! It was in a side pocket of the Power Book's travel bag.

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard