An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
snow doesn't run screen saver on screen lock?
#10025 05/20/10 05:02 PM
OP Offline

I just upgraded to snow leopard, and now when I use the keychain access's menulet to lock my screen, the screensaver doesn't come on. The screen goes pitch black until I press a key.

- I tried switching from my babylblox to flurry and flurry also does not work
- when I checked on a a desktop mac with ext display, it says "no signal" on the display, indicating the video itself is shut off while the screen is locked

unable to find a pref setting for "shut off screen when screen is locked". Did they just change it and am I out of luck?

FWIW, this terminal command activates the screensaver. I'd accept a keyboard shortcut instead to trigger this, tho I'd prefer it to stay in the menubar.

Code:
open /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: snow doesn't run screen saver on screen lock?
Virtual1 #10029 05/20/10 05:24 PM
OP Offline

found a solution, not ideal but works. made an applescript to "do shell script ..." the above, and saved as a compiled application. Set it down in the dock. So one click gets my screen locked with screensaver

Virtual1 #10032 05/20/10 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
found a solution, not ideal but works. made an applescript to "do shell script ..." the above, and saved as a compiled application. Set it down in the dock. So one click gets my screen locked with screensaver

Just a general tip (not specific to the screensaver issue): it's not necessary to wrap shell scripts in AppleScript and save them as (slow-launching) "applications" just to conveniently run them from Finder. Scripts written in Bash, Perl, etc., can be run directly from the Script Menu. Using that method, they can be easily accessed via menu or keyboard shortcut even (though that perhaps requires the aid of 3rd-party [free]wares such as Spark or FastScripts).

Hal Itosis #10045 05/21/10 08:38 PM
OP Offline

In this case I was originally just going to go with a .command file, but then terminal opens. Wrapping it into an applescript made for a nice quick launch item in the dock.

<i>Almost</i> as good as a key combo, I can live with it.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard