for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dock on top?
#6290 12/03/09 02:26 AM
OP Online

I really miss having my Dock in the top right-hand corner of my screen, but my ability to place it there was lost when I upgraded to Leopard.

Has anybody run across an app that can restore Dock-on-top (preferably right) to Leopard? (KnockOutDock doesn't do it any more.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Dock on top?
artie505 #6292 12/03/09 03:11 AM

MacPilot, which uses "hidden" preferences, offers the options for the OS X Dock
  • Bottom
  • Left
  • Right
but no Top Right, Bottom Left, Etc.

Gideon Softwork's Dockit can create 1 to n custom Docks in addition to the regular dock and those docks can be located
  • Right Center
  • Right Top
  • Right Bottom
  • Left Center
  • Left Top
  • Left Bottom
  • Bottom Centered
  • Bottom Left
  • Bottom Right
  • Top Centered
  • Top Left
  • Top Right

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #6303 12/03/09 09:54 AM
OP Online

Thanks for the suggestions, but neither app can reposition my OS X default Dock...my real goal.

MacPilot correctly reads com.apple.dock.plist and shows that my Dock is supposed to be at the top of my screen

<key>orientation</key>
<string>top</string>

but neither relocates it to that position nor offers the option. (I wonder what "Default" is if not bottom?)

(Strange, user unfriendly website...does not tell you a product's cost until you open an account.)

Dockit, on the other hand, can place a Dock where I'd like mine to be but cannot rid me of my default Dock.

The bottom line seems to be that Apple has made it impossible for users to relocate their default Dock to the top of their screen. frown

Clarification: My Dock is a microscopic thing that, nonetheless, annoys me when it pops up from the bottom of my screen, so I'd like to relocate it to the top, from where it is much less likely to drop down.

My only alternative appears to be Dock Gone, but it's not worth $15 to me.

Thanks again. smile

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #6481 12/08/09 08:10 AM

I am on SL but still. The Dock prefpane offers bottom, right and left. All positions work. There is no top. I wonder what happens if you trash Dock prefs and then use MacPilot to put it on top. Otherwise, if you remove Dock from the bottom in the prefpane, maybe it would obey MacPilot from a non-default location.

Last edited by macnerd10; 12/08/09 08:10 AM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
macnerd10 #6482 12/08/09 09:18 AM
OP Online

> I wonder what happens if you trash Dock prefs and then use MacPilot to put it on top.

MacPilot doesn't offer a "top" option, and, as I mentioned, my Dock remains at the bottom of my screen even when its prefs show it('s supposed) to be at the top.

I wonder why Apple went to such lengths as to disable the option beyond redemption?

Oh, well... Hardly critical.

Thanks for weighing in, Alex.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard