for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Single user mode is gone
#50976 01/21/19 03:16 AM
OP Online

I mentioned it as an aside in another thread, but for those who didn't see it, I recently learned that beginning with macOS 10.14, Mojave, single user mode is a thing of the past.

Does anybody know if any of its functionality can be replicated in Recovery? I'm not familiar enough with it to even guess.

And on the other hand, does anybody remember the last time single user mode was called into play?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Single user mode is gone
artie505 #50978 01/21/19 02:04 PM

According to this Apple support article ⌘S to boot into single user mode no longer works but you can still boot into single user mode via the Recovery drive (⌘R) and this caused by the T2 chip, NOT Mojave.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Single user mode is gone
joemikeb #50984 01/22/19 09:08 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
According to this Apple support article ⌘S to boot into single user mode no longer works but you can still boot into single user mode via the Recovery drive (⌘R) and this caused by the T2 chip, NOT Mojave.

Although command-S booting into single-user mode either is or will eventually be a thing of the past, its functionality is (in answer to my question) available, but not duplicated, in Recovery, via Disk Utility and Terminal.

But I think the new functionality is enhanced in that it can now read/write to ANY volume that appears in your DU sidebar whereas S-UM could access only your boot drive?

According to Mac startup key combinations
Quote:
Command-S: Start up in single-user mode. This key combination requires macOS High Sierra or earlier. (Emphasis added)
(hence my "beginning with macOS 10.14, Mojave"), but that's incorrect; I was able to command-S boot into S-UM in macOS 10.14.2, Mojave, on my NON-T2 MBP.

I think I"m correct in assuming that the change couldn't be attributable to Mojave, because S-UM is firmware functionality which can't be affected by a change in the OS?

I also booted into Recovery to see if Disk Utility and Terminal function as I've read they do with a T2 chip, and I found that they DO NOT.

So the T2 is, indeed, THE determining factor.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard