Print Thread
Setting Preferences - A New Development
#49877 09/02/18 06:16 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

A couple of days ago, I noticed that:

(1) a history of my actions is being kept when I open any app

AND,

(2) the most recent item - even from days ago - automatically opens as well.

Two examples: When I open a file with PREVIEW, the one just selected opens along with the most recent item viewed. Same idea with SAFARI - the last page I visited has become the Home Page. If I right-click on (most) apps in the dock, a very long history of multiple items is retained.

I have set BOTH the Mac preferences and the Safari preferences to NOT keep a record of recent activity/history. Safari is set to open with a BLANK window. Until a couple of days ago, I did not have the issue described, but now I do. There is nothing that I can think of that changed as far as "tweaking" the preferences on my part

I could understand that some 3rd party apps may function independently in this regard, but it used to be that if I set the Mac preferences and Safari preference at ZERO, no record was kept by Safari or the Apple apps.

Any ideas?

------------------------

UPDATE: I just thought of something. ONYX was set to retain "5" in Recent Items, so I set that to "0" to see what happens. - although that does not fully explain why PREVIEW is still retaining dozens in its history of activity.

Last edited by MG2009; 09/02/18 06:47 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Many thanks,
MG2009
Re: Setting Preferences - A New Development
MG2009 #49881 09/03/18 03:43 PM

And do a Shutdown and then restart.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
MG2009 #49887 09/03/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
UPDATE: I just thought of something. ONYX was set to retain "5" in Recent Items, so I set that to "0" to see what happens. - although that does not fully explain why PREVIEW is still retaining dozens in its history of activity.

OnyX, Cocktail, MacPilot, Tinkertool, and a plethora of other third party utilities all use the identical underlying Unix command line tools to perform their configuration magic. When you change a setting in OnyX you have changed the setting for ALL standards compliant apps including all Apple apps and the great majority of third party apps — even those from Microsoft.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #49891 09/04/18 04:17 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

ONYX was the culprit.

I changed the preferences to ONE, and now only one item is being kept in both Apple and 3rd-party apps activity histories - including PREVIEW.

Many thanks,
MG2009

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard