An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do you still Do DU for Computer Freeze ups?
#42036 10/03/16 06:40 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Question: Today, The computer froze up while in Firefox. I had to force quit the whole computer.

Would you recommend doing disc utility afterwards from another hardrive or in 2016 is the OS robust enough to not worry about that? Thanks

Re: Do you still Do DU for Computer Freeze ups?
kevs #42037 10/03/16 06:57 PM

I certainly wouldn't hurt to run DU. Do you have a more robust utility such as Disk Warrior, TechTool Pro or Drive Genius?

I assume that, after you forced a shutdown (that is what you meant, right?), you were able to restart normally.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42038 10/03/16 07:31 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Thanks Jon, I rebooted ok, and don't want to do any checks I don't have to as they are a PITA to do. That's why I'm posting.

kevs #42039 10/03/16 07:35 PM

In that case, forget about it unless you get recurring or persistent problems, kevs.

(In your situation, it wouldn't even have occurred to me to reboot to run DU.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #42040 10/03/16 07:37 PM

If you have OS X/MacOS 10.10, 10.11, or 10.12 you do not have to boot from another drive to run Disk Utility. Just reboot from the Recovery Drive by holding Command R while booting or rebooting your Mac. It is perfectly safe to run Disk Utility against the normal boot volume from there.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42041 10/03/16 07:42 PM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Joe, thanks for reminding me how much easier it is these days than for years past.

That said, should I even bother in 2016? It's like maintenance. You remember how much maintenance we all did once. Maybe it's not even necessary now.

I've had several of these force quits in the last year, and have not done the disk check, and I've been ok.

Ok, thans ARtie too.

Last edited by kevs; 10/03/16 07:46 PM.
kevs #42042 10/03/16 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Joe, thanks for reminding me how much easier it is these days than for years past.

That said, should I even bother in 2016? It's like maintenance. You remember how much maintenance we all did once. Maybe it's not even necessary now.
With all my installing and experimentation with beta versions of El Capitan and Sierra I have had more than my share of application crashes, force quits, and once or twice I ended up having to power down. To make my long story short — during all that, I have run volume checks a few times while testing some beta apps, and there has never been a problem.

Changes in the way disk I/O are managed by OS X have continued to evolve and the possibility of volume or file damage from an unexpected shut down has gotten smaller and smaller but a finite possibility still exists. Personally I probably would not bother unless there were other indications of a problem. However, booting from the Recovery Drive and running Disk Utility is easy to do and does not take much time. Even though Disk Utility is not the best at repairing problems it is not bad at all at finding them.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42044 10/04/16 12:06 AM
kevs Online OP
OP Online

Excellent Joe, thanks....

Yes, this is about having the beachball, and you have to force quit the whole computer. Which happens about every 4 months or so.

"booting from the Recovery Drive and running Disk Utility is easy to do and does not take much time."

I agree, but it is a minor PITA, and if I don't have to do it I wont.

That was my guess, that years ago you would run a check..but the OS, gets more robust as time passes.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard