FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Changing Apple ID password on all devices
#37850 12/15/15 05:29 PM
OP Offline

I haven’t done it yet. So before I made a mistake. I thought I ask;
Best way to safely change Apple ID password so all my devices can access the iTunes account and iCloud etc.? I certainly know how do it on a single mac. But unsure of how to get it to switch on everything. That would be One Mac Mini Two MacBooks and one iPhone Just don’t want to screw up the process. Some say sign out first before changing the password. Or is it correct to change it first on one Mac in the App store, iTunes, iCloud, with the old password then update it there. Then do that with the old password on the other devices. Will that work? Everything is updated to newest OS and iOS
Thanks for any enlightenment.
Paul

Re: Changing Apple ID password on all devices
onewonders #37865 12/16/15 05:13 PM

Isn't the password associated with the ID? So if you change the password for an ID on any one device, all of the other devices that use that same Apple ID will need to have that password. Once the password is changed, the first time another device uses a service that requires the password, it should be asked for. There is no formal "change process" required. Also, your iCloud ID/password may not be the same as your Apple ID/password, depending on how you set it up.

And yes, change the password on line through the Apple site.

Now if you want to change the Apple ID on a device, just log out and then log in with the new one. An e-mail notice will be sent to the owner of the account saying a new device has been used to log in with your ID. There could be greater consequences to using a different Apple ID, like ownership of applications, songs, etc. could cease on that device.

Then again, I could be missing the entire point of what you are saying and trying to do. tongue

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Changing Apple ID password on all devices
Ira L #37924 12/21/15 09:07 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Ira, No you got it that’s what I was after and what I hoped the process was. As you wrote;
“Once the password is changed, the first time another device uses a service that requires the password, it should be asked for. There is no formal "change process" required.”

The last time I changed it I only had one Mac to deal with, so thanks for clearing that up.
Paul

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard