Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Obnoxious Auto-correct
#36774 10/28/15 11:33 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

I sympathize with you, Artie!

Anytime I can TURN OFF an auto-correct function, I do.

I do not mind auto-check applications finding my errors and offering suggestions. In fact, I like THAT feature. I just get annoyed when any auto-correct "decides" what I intended so that when I hit the next key, my letters are replaced with its (incorrect) choices . . . UNLESS I take a second step and "x" out (close) the suggestion window.

Personally, I would rather reverse the process and have my letters stay intact when i continue typing and only require the second action if I "want" to choose one of auto-correct's suggestions.

I can see how the automatic process would be an advantage to someone who is prone to many typos or is not a particularly good speller. But for those of us who have taken considerable time to learn to type with speed and accuracy, auto-correct is a real PITA.

wink

P.S. Move to a new thread?

EDIT by alternaut: this post and its replies have been separated from the original thread User login items and started as a new thread with a new title.

Last edited by alternaut; 10/30/15 04:00 PM.
Re: Obnoxious Auto-correct
MG2009 #36777 10/29/15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
I can see how the automatic process would be an advantage to someone who is prone to many typos or is not a particularly good speller. But for those of us who have taken considerable time to learn to type with speed and accuracy, auto-correct is a real PITA.

I'm not a terrible speller, but I am prone to typos, so I always take the time to reread what I've written and look at the words that are underlined with red dots to see if they really require correction.

I do not want anybody or anything making assumptions on my behalf!

Last edited by alternaut; 10/30/15 04:02 PM. Reason: Changed thread title

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36785 10/29/15 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I'm not a terrible speller, but I am prone to typos, so I always take the time to reread what I've written and look at the words that are underlined with red dots to see if they really require correction.

My problem is I tend to add a 'lil bit of slang to my texts, or use abbrs, and autocorrect really mangles my typing sometimes.

What I wonder is, when I type "abbrs", and it changes it to "abbess", and I backspace and change it back to "abbrs", why does it change it back to "abbess" AGAIN instead of automatically adding it to my list of exceptions?

Last edited by alternaut; 10/30/15 04:01 PM. Reason: Changed thread title

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #36804 10/30/15 05:16 AM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

" . . . so I always take the time to reread what I've written and look at the words that are underlined with red dots to see if they really require correction."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fair enough, Artie . . . but that is not really my beef. Maybe I can explain this a little better.

I have no issue with going back and proofreading for errors before I hit "send." What the annoying part to me is that I have to stop typing to x-out (close) the auto-correction suggestion window if I want to continue and keep AS IS whatever I typed in the first instance.

I would prefer to type feely and then go back and make any manual changes that auto-SPELL and/or auto-CHECK have highlighted. What I do not like is auto-CORRECTION'S way of making me stop typing to close the box if I want to KEEP my original type rather than ignore the "error" to let me continue typing and later go back to make any necessary changes in grammar which had been highlighted.

grin

MG2009 #36805 10/30/15 05:55 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not running an OS that burdens me with auto-correct, so I only have to deal with it on the receiving end...the basis of my original complaint.

I now follow what you said, I sympathize with you, and I hope that auto-correct is at least optional, if not gone, before I have to deal with it.

Last edited by alternaut; 10/30/15 04:03 PM. Reason: Changed thread title

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MG2009 #36820 10/30/15 04:16 PM

I have to agree with MG2009 about Auto-correct. While it is unfortunate that its default behavior cannot be changed to something more palatable for certain users, at least it can be turned off. For instance:

- MacOS X (10.7.x - 10.11.x): Turn Off Auto Correct in Mac OS X Mavericks, Mt Lion, & OS X Yosemite (also works for El Capitan)

- iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phones, Windows 8 and Mac OSX: How to Turn Off Autocorrect

Obviously, the second link also addresses issues other than our main beef here, but that can be considered a bonus. wink

alternaut moderator
alternaut #36825 10/30/15 05:17 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Guys, for the added info and links.

grin

alternaut #36826 10/30/15 05:25 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Alternaut, for starting a new thread . . . this topic did seem to be moving away from the original inquiry of the other thread.

P.S. The subject line is PERFECT! tongue

MG2009 #36858 10/30/15 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Thanks, Alternaut, for starting a new thread . . . this topic did seem to be moving away from the original inquiry of the other thread.

P.S. The subject line is PERFECT! tongue

cool

Virtual1 #36860 10/30/15 10:49 PM

Q:
Originally Posted By: v1
What I wonder is, when I type "abbrs", and it changes it to "abbess", and I backspace and change it back to "abbrs", why does it change it back to "abbess" AGAIN instead of automatically adding it to my list of exceptions?

A: Because it doesn't learn.

Quote:
Four score and seven years ago:
For school and see yeah again.

So, if the word 'school' is high on the predictive list, let's see if it knows history:
Four score and s [here is where it recognizes it]

What it did not do is figure out that I typed the same phrase many times and it did not 'learn' it. Not surprising, it's very familiar with 'school.'

Last edited by slolerner; 10/30/15 10:55 PM. Reason: More

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard