FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
FINDER & Desktops in El Cap
#36468 10/16/15 10:33 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

While in FULL-SCREEN MODE, a SECOND window automatically appears to view the second app (like Skype or Apple Mail, etc) when opened.

I know that I can click the GREEN button and return/resize the app/folder on the original window AFTER THE FACT . . . Or simply not use FULL-SCREEN in the first place . . .

BUT: Is there any way to TURNOFF this default feature so that the first window will automatically go out of Full-Screen Mode and return to regular view when a second app/file is opened without the user having to click on the green button to do so?

P.S. I hope this edited version makes more sense than my first entry on the topic.

grin

Last edited by MG2009; 10/17/15 05:53 AM. Reason: Re: Full Screen Info
Re: FINDER & Desktops in El Cap
MG2009 #36501 10/18/15 09:18 PM

You have encountered a heavily promoted new feature in El Capitan called Split Screen Mode. It is an addition to full screen mode. The idea is you can have two apps running in full screen mode side by side on your screen. As you have discovered the green button toggles between traditional and split full screen mode.

When you have multiple apps open on the desktop and place one in full screen mode the default is split screen mode. If you have an app open in full screen mode clicking on the green button will place the open app in split screen mode and then you can select or open another app to go on the other side of the split screen.

I find it to be a very useful tool. Just as an example when I am reconciling my bank account, I can open the accoutning app in split screen and then open the PDF bank statement in Preview on the other side.

Split screen is built into El Capitan and Finder and AFIK can only be removed by reverting to an earlier release of OS X. Neither is there a toggle to disable split screen mode.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36504 10/18/15 10:20 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

Bummers. Thanks for the info, Joemikeb.

I was hoping I could disable this default feature when having - and only wanting - one desktop in use with multiple windows because I do find that flipping to a second desktop is inconvenient at times.

The workaround would be for me NOT to use FULL SCREEN on any window (i.e. stay away from the green button!) Then, with multiple windows on the one desktop, I can re-size each window the "old-fashioned" way by dragging the corner. Just wish there were a way to set the FULL SCREEN mode to automatically disengage when I open a second window rather than have OSX automatically open a second FULLSCREEN desktop by default.

The "TOGGLE" idea you mentioned would actually be a solution in that it would reduce the number of steps to move in and out of FULLSCREEN (AT WILL) when one wants to use multiple windows at the same time on one desktop.

Perhaps some Whiz-Bang guy will come up with just this kind of "toggle" app.

cool

Many thanks,
MG2009
MG2009 #36506 10/18/15 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
The workaround would be for me NOT to use FULL SCREEN on any window (i.e. stay away from the green button!) Then, with multiple windows on the one desktop, I can re-size each window the "old-fashioned" way by dragging the corner.

What you are suggesting is NOT the same as full screen mode — you are loosing a lot of desktop real estate to window overhead.
Just wish there were a way to set the FULL SCREEN mode to automatically disengage when I open a second window rather than have OSX automatically open a second FULLSCREEN desktop by default.

Actually that is the same thing as disabling split screen mode
The "TOGGLE" idea you mentioned would actually be a solution in that it would reduce the number of steps to move in and out of FULLSCREEN (AT WILL) when one wants to use multiple windows at the same time on one desktop.

Perhaps some Whiz-Bang guy will come up with just this kind of "toggle" app.

You are talking about a third party replacement for Finder and would almost certainly require disabling SIP to implement. If you really dislike split screen mode so much you should consider reverting to Yosemite. But before you do, I really encourage you to give split screen mode a try. Who knows you might find it very useful.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36508 10/18/15 11:49 PM
MG2009 Offline OP
OP Offline

" . . . What you are suggesting is NOT the same as full screen mode — you are loosing a lot of desktop real estate to window overhead . . . "

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I am in FULL SCREEN mode at the time, I believe.

With one window open, I click on the GREEN button and it automatically opens in FULLSCREEN. If I want to open a second window (and not switch to a second desktop), then I have to click the GREEN button again so that the window I am working with goes out of FULLSCREEN and can then be resized (using the old corner/drag method).

If I stay away from the green button, no FULLSCREEN happens . . . at least this is how things have been working since I installed El Cap.

Many thanks,
MG2009

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard