An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
updates are available! and we insist you review!
#27145 10/23/13 02:44 PM
OP Offline

That global floater that pops up, "updates are available, click here to review or here to install"

And there's no "click here to close this %^@# window". And anywhere in the window you click triggers a Review click. And the window NEVER closes on its own.

How do you make that pest go away when it pops up, without triggering further actions?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: updates are available! and we insist you review!
Virtual1 #27156 10/23/13 08:20 PM

You can swipe it to the right to make it go away for about 5 minutes. Not really a solution, especially if you're trying to watch a movie or (shudder) trying to concentrate on real work.

You can tell Notification Center you don't want it to bug you. (Expose the Notifications menu, swipe the menu down to reveal the slide switch labeled "Show Alerts and Banners", and turn it off.) Trouble is, that disables ALL alerts and banners, but only for 24 hours. Both too much and too little.

The best I've found is to bite the bullet. Click on it to let Software Update (actually App Store) show you what's available, then quit it. That shuts it up for a week.

Virtual1 #27157 10/23/13 08:53 PM

Hmm. I've never seen such a window. I have "Automatically check for updates" unchecked in System Preferences -> Software Update.

I have now checked it for the sake of experimentation.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #27159 10/24/13 01:08 AM

After an hour or so, the window in question was bestowed upon me. I swiped it out of sight as per ganbustein, then went back to System Prefs and unchecked "Automatically check for updates" again. Five minutes or so later, the notification reappeared; this time I clicked "Details" and let the Mac App Store show me the specifics.

My thesis is that swiping it out of sight was like hitting the snooze alarm: even though I subsequently disabled automatic checking, that particular notification was already at large in the system, and nothing short of clicking one of the two buttons would dispense with it.

I guess I'll have to wait a week to be absolutely certain. tongue

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Virtual1 #27206 10/28/13 06:23 PM

Here's the Apple Support page, which might help...

Updating OS X & MAS apps

Note in the Mavericks detail, one clicks & holds the Later button to get the drop down menu.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard