FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TM Backups - 2 FW drives - 2 Set-ups
#23233 08/26/12 04:50 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm using 2 x 1TB FW 800 drives for 2 separate, TM backups - 1 FW 800 drive direct connected via my MBP's (my primary Mac) FW 800 port + 1 FW 800 drive connected, through a 2d Mac's FW 800 port, and networked (to my MBP) via Network Sharing. [Both Macs are on my Local Network, via Ethernet, through a Netgear 5-port 10/100/1000 Switch.]

I'm replacing the FW drive which has been used for the TM backups via the Network Sharing. So, I have a newly formatted & partitioned, FW drive in this overall set-up and without any data on it.

Since direct connecting a FW drive completes TM backups so much faster, especially in the initial backup - about 64GB taking around 30 minutes as opposed to a day + via Network Sharing, I would like to complete this new drive's initial TM backup by direct connecting the new FW drive to my MBP, complete the initial TM backup, and then, connect it to my 2d Mac to become a Network Shared TM backup volume.

However, I want this TM's subsequent backups to pick-up from the initial backup - in other words, I want to insure TM (the app on my MBP) recognizes the previous, TM backup even though the drive is now connected via Network Sharing.

In a first attempt to use my existing FW drive, which has been solely used via direct connect, as a TM volume via Network Sharing from my 2d Mac, TM (the app on my MBP) began to do a completely new, TM backup on that drive. I stopped it as that's not what I wanted to take place.

What is the correct procedure to accomplish my objective? ...Let me know if I've not been clear about the set-up.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Re: TM Backups - 2 FW drives - 2 Set-ups
pbGuy #23234 08/26/12 06:22 PM

I came across a very useful link last week on the Apple Support forums.....and went there to find your specific answer.

LINK

The section you want to review, titled "Speeding up the first full backup" will be at the bottom of the page.

This sounds like exactly what you are looking for.....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Time Machine set-up
MacManiac #23236 08/26/12 10:44 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

James Pond must have written the book.

Thank you for the link.

Cheers.

8/27 Follow-up -- Yes, it appears that Pond is a high level expert on Time Machine and his web site is updated for Mountain Lion.

He's provided lots of detailed instructions, but as certain tasks are complex, it's fair to characterize his instructions are for experienced users.

Here the link to his Home Page - Pondini.Org

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Speeding up the first full backup
pbGuy #23273 08/29/12 11:02 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I've read James Pond's Time Machine FAQ 22.

I've set-up the System Preferences of the Destination Mac (in this case, my Mac mini) and the Source Mac (my MBP - main computer) according to FAQ 22.

(Note: I am currently allowing the Shared Drive TM backup (from my Destination Mac) to run without doing the Speeding up the first full backup process; but, I want to understand this procedure so I can use it subsequently. The first full backup, via ethernet networking sharing of a FW 800, takes a r..e..a..l..l..y long time ( 64GB - a couple of days frown ) compared to direct-connect FireWire 800 (64GB - about 35-40 minutes laugh ).

However, take a look at the Speeding up the first full backup section. -- My question pertains to the section beginning When the backup is done...

I'm not clear about the step-by-step procedure set-out in this Point (#1) When the backup is done, as well as the following Point (#2) about Eject and disconnect the drive...

(#1) - Double-clicking the sparse bundle (disk image file) mounts the disk image on the Desktop; then, double-clicking what appeared (? - what does appear) mounts it also on the Desktop. ...Am I correct in my interpretation?

(#2) - Why Enter Time Machine ? ...What's the purpose of this step, since the next step is to eject TM volume? Also, does this step simply involve an enter Time Machine & then, go back to the Desktop before ejecting this TM volume in order to reconnect back to the Destination Mac?

...Without benefit of having previously completed these 2 steps, it's tough to visualize the respective, correct results and know precisely what next to do. I want to insure I am clear before attempting these steps.

Note: I've posted these inquiries in Apple Discussions - Mountain Lion / Time Machine, hoping James Pond will respond with clarification and snapshots. I'll post here if he does.

Re: Speeding up the first full backup
pbGuy #23274 08/30/12 01:13 AM

As I read his FAQ, what is described is starting the backup to the shared drive over the network in order to build the sparse bundle associated with that physical location, but stop the backup prior to actually doing the data transfer......the next steps described allow you to now connect that sparse bundle and redirect your Time Machine backup into that sparse bundle while it is connected directly to the host by Firewire (so that it will complete the initial backup rapidly).....and once the initial backup has been written into that sparse bundle, the disconnect from Firewire and reconnect/redirect Time Machine to the shared location over the network steps will allow Time Machine to then make all subsequent incremental backups to the relocated sparse bundle over the network.

What isn't described is the way that Time Machine identifies the location of the disk you've chosen for your backup......although the disk is physically the same in your eyes whether it is connected directly by Firewire or over the network, Time Machine identifies it electronically as a different location depending on how it is mounted.

....a little complex in the specific details, but simple to visualize when broken down into the underlying reasons.

Hope this helps.....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard