FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
This morning, all passwords don't work
#15802 05/30/11 06:05 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Suddenly this morning all my passwords are no longer remember on my main internet sites.
And all the paths that find folders in drag thing are broken and have to be redone. Anyone have any clues on that? thanks.

Re: This morning, all passwords don't work
kevs #15804 05/30/11 09:46 PM

There are at least a couple of ways passwords are stored for use in Safari and other browsers. One is in Keychain and the other is in browser cookies — which is used depends on the site.
  1. If the problem arises from a glitch in Keychain and assuming you are using Time Machine or a similar backup solution, the problem might be fixed by going back 24 hours and restoring and earlier version of the keychain.
  2. If the passwords being recalled from cookies it may be that your cookies have been flushed someway. There are many utilities that can flush cookies including Safari itself. If you or someone else has been doing some housekeeping on your system it is possible the cookies may have been inadvertently flushed. In this case Time Machine again comes to the rescue. The file that needs to be restored is in your home folder ~/Library'Cookies/Cookies.plist
  3. Drag Thing is a joker in this deck. It leads me to wonder if there hasn't been some glitch in your system. In your situation I would probably run a set of diagnostics just to be sure there isn't something else going on. I would start with Drive Genius or TechTool Pro because either provides comprehensive hardware diagnostics as well as volume diagnostics and repair.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #15805 05/30/11 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
"my main internet sites"

Define/explain.

Originally Posted By: kevs
"paths that find folders in drag thing"

Define/explain.

Hal Itosis #15809 05/30/11 10:00 PM

I very often think that the "M" in FTM really stands for "Ma(c)sochists."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #15811 05/30/11 10:05 PM

Let's see... um, "did you repair permissions yet?"

<hal ducks and runs away>

Hal Itosis #15814 05/30/11 11:40 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry guys:
I figured it out sorry. I tested Private Browsing and forgot to get out of that!

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard