for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
No Bluetooth in Macs
#11141 07/27/10 05:07 PM
OP Offline

Is the absence of Bluetooth predicated on the workings of the optical drive or something else, e.g., were one to install a Bluetooth player, would it (otherwise) work?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: No Bluetooth in Macs
Pendragon #11149 07/27/10 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
...the absence of Bluetooth...

I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to get at. confused Are you asking about using Bluetooth devices with Macs without it, or with Macs that have it but where it is (or seems to be) non-functional? Apart from that, any player may work in and by itself, but if you need the Bluetooth connectivity, obviously that part needs to work too on either side of the connection.

alternaut moderator
Pendragon #11151 07/27/10 07:24 PM

Do you mean Blu-ray?

MarkG #11152 07/27/10 08:30 PM

I bet Blu-ray‘s what Pendragon meant, it makes much more sense. laugh The answer then would be: maybe. Playing Blu-ray disks requires both hardware (player) and software/drivers. The former is available, but the latter is more of an issue, since Apple doesn’t support the format and seems to want to skip it altogether. Apart from running Windows on sufficiently recent Macs to play BR disks, there are some (partial) workarounds under Mac OS X, as mentioned in this thread.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #11153 07/27/10 09:25 PM
OP Offline

Arrgh. Indeed I did mean Blu-ray. Maxima Mea Culpa.

Of course, my thanks for your indulgence and insight.

While I am not a strident advocate of Blu-ray, I am a bit surprised that it is not, at least, a BTO option (along with a matte display). Alas, His Steveness doesn't call, doesn't write...

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #11155 07/27/10 10:00 PM

am a bit surprised that it is not, at least, a BTO option

I very much doubt Apple would let you CTO a piece of hardware without the software that supports it. Macs can read blurays, the file format is old standard, but the files themselves are encrypted, and the cartels that have the keys have some pretty absurd demands before they'll give you a key. You think it's bad enough that you can't make a screenshot while DVD player is running, bluray demands things be taken to an entirely new level of "we own your machine". (the exact requirements are of course behind an NDA but I'd wager they require kernel level DRM)

To say nothing of the price gouging going on in the bluray player market by Sony. Although the price of bluray players has really been dropping rapidly lately. I'm a somewhat early adopter there and the drive that I bought 6 months ago costs about 30% less today.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard