for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Euro Symbol
#7095 12/29/09 07:45 PM
OP Offline

Hmmm.....the Euro Symbol which comes with Macs, accessed by Alt-2, will only do Roman, Italic and Underline.

Why not bold? Is there any way of bolding it?

On the old Macs, OS9, remember them? I dimly recall getting a specific Euro Font and installing it for this very purpose.

This afternoon, typical me, I've spent over an hour on the internet trying to find a:

Free
Downloadable
Euro Symbol font which
works in OSX Tiger
and will do BOLD face.

Thanks, again..........

Re: Euro Symbol
Bensheim #7097 12/29/09 08:03 PM

What application(s) are you trying this in?

I have no problem getting a bold Euro sign in TextEdit (or AppleWorks) by typing Option-Shift-2 (may be a difference between US and British keyboard layouts), then highlighting the Euro sign and typing Command-B.

(I'm running OS X 10.5.8, but I can boot into 10.4.11 and see what the lay of the land is there, should it prove desirable.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Bensheim #7100 12/29/09 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
This afternoon, typical me, I've spent over an hour on the internet trying to find a: Free Downloadable Euro Symbol font which works in OSX Tiger and will do BOLD face.

No need to download anything.

€ €
  € €

It depends on the *font*.

Geneva and Monaco have no styles at all (just "regular"). Even the great Lucida Grande offers no italic (just bold). But almost every other typeface has tons of styles. [Arial, Courier, Helvetica/Neue, Times/New Roman, Palatino, Verdanna, etc., etc., etc.]

dkmarsh #7109 12/29/09 10:26 PM
OP Offline

DK and Hal,

Dag Nam It, you are right!

There was no problem, it was my screen display. I was viewing my test page at 100%. Then I read your post and zoomed up to 150% and there was the little blighter, in bold.

(bangs self on head)

No problem. Mark this thread: solved

(as they used to on the old MacFixit forum) smile

Oh, and good to encounter someone else here using AppleWorks. GREAT! Hooray, in fact. Yippee, even. Years ago on the desktoppublishing forum I encountered some (snooty) person who said "I've never heard of a commercial publication being produced on ClarisWorks". Oh yeah? We're a commercial publication and used ClarisWorks for 15 years right up until this week. Now we're going to be on AppleWorks, the license for which I sourced from California. The functionality is identical AFAICSSF.

(exits, whistling........)

Bensheim #7124 12/30/09 05:41 AM

Now we're going to be on AppleWorks

How can you manage (these days) with no Unicode support?

Well, i guess you won't print many articles using Icelandic characters wink
(e.g., ðesktop Þublishing), but can AppleWorks do symbols like these?

command: ⌘
shift: ⇧
option: ⌥
escape: ⎋

FWIW, Pages is a pretty powerful little page-layout program... and takes advantage of all sorts of OSX goodies, of which AppleWorks will forever remain blissfully sadly unaware.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 12/30/09 05:48 AM.
Bensheim #7145 12/30/09 04:31 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I detached a branch of replies from this thread as the questions posed are better addressed in a separate topic: Unicode questions

BTW, re:
Mark this thread: solved

(as they used to on the old MacFixit forum) smile

Methinks you're remembering a different forum, as we didn't have a mark-as-solved feature at MFIF either. (Just so ya know.)

FineTunedMac Forums Admin

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard