for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mouse freeze
#2433 08/30/09 11:41 AM
OP Offline

On each start-up since I installed Snow Leopard the cursor froze. I had to force quit and restart, then the the mouse/cursor function is fine. I have only started the machine twice after being off for hours; maybe this quirk will go away, but I doubt that.Any idea why I now have a freezing cursor syndrome? That seems to be the only problem so far with Snow Leopard. Dave

Re: Mouse freeze
RichboroDave #2435 08/30/09 12:15 PM

It's a whole new pussycat with no history, so let's try to make some...

First thing I'd do is boot from my install disc and run Utilities>Disk Utility>Repair Disk.

Alternatively, or additionally, you can run the updated version of DiskWarrior if you've got it.

Let us know how you make out.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
RichboroDave #2437 08/30/09 12:28 PM

I had that problem in the past and the usual remedy was to unplug the mouse (and/or the keyboard, if it's plugged into the keyboard) and reconnect it. It's certainly harmless to try.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #2440 08/30/09 01:06 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for the quick reply. Re: Artie505 ideas, I do not have an updated Disk Warrior, I will try the Util>Disk> etc. as a second choice. Re: Jon, I will try the unplug/plug trick first. There is another possible explanation. After setting up Snow Leopard yesterday, I made a change in the mouse settings(at the request of the other user of the Mac)that turned off the function of the scroll wheel that would bring up Dashboard. It is annoying when it happens by accident, so I don't really need it. I have now reset that function. I turned off the Mac for an hour or so and when I started it this time, NO cursor problem. I don't see why the change in that setting would cause a freeze, but time will tell. I will hold off, see how it goes and then try your both suggestions. Thanks, Dave

RichboroDave #2442 08/30/09 01:18 PM

Are you using a third party mouse (or keyboard) ? If so, does the problem continue when using the Apple mouse/keyboard?

If you are using a third party mouse or have installed software that modifies the mouse's behavior, it may be that an updater is required.

And finally, is the mouse connected to the keyboard, computer, or hub?
(I'm just wondering if your mouse is getting enough power.)

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
RichboroDave #2462 08/30/09 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: RichboroDave
Thanks for the quick reply. Re: Artie505 ideas, I do not have an updated Disk Warrior, I will try the Util>Disk> etc. as a second choice. Re: Jon, I will try the unplug/plug trick first. There is another possible explanation. After setting up Snow Leopard yesterday, I made a change in the mouse settings(at the request of the other user of the Mac)that turned off the function of the scroll wheel that would bring up Dashboard. It is annoying when it happens by accident, so I don't really need it. I have now reset that function. I turned off the Mac for an hour or so and when I started it this time, NO cursor problem. I don't see why the change in that setting would cause a freeze, but time will tell. I will hold off, see how it goes and then try your both suggestions. Thanks, Dave

Dave, Hi.

That you've said you turned off the function on the scroll wheel which brings up Dashboard makes me think (I'd bet) you're using a Mighty Mouse, right?

http://susanboydreturns.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/mighty_mouse.jpg

The Mighty Mouse is a terrific invention, I love it, BUT. The first thing I did was to disable those side-buttons which bring up Exposé. Depressing the scroll button brings up Dashboard which I use many times a day now that I've customised it......anyway, the Mighty Mouse does need cleaning now and then or you'll get exactly the symptom you describe. The other common symptom is you can scroll up but not down or vice versa.

Disconnect M.Mouse (I presume it's wired but it makes no odds) and hold it upside down on a clean sheet of paper. Rub the scrolling wheel hard on paper and run it about in all directions. Reconnect to Mac and away you go again.

Nowt to do with Disks, Disk Warrior, Leopard, or any other hardware/software thing. It's just the mouse doing what it does. IME.

Here's an article about it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1537

And another one: http://www.brendanfenn.com/cleanmouse.html

Hope that helps, best wishes

RichboroDave #2511 08/31/09 06:56 AM

> [...] I do not have an updated Disk Warrior, [....]

DW 4.2 was released a day or two ago; the update can be d/l'ed here.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #2558 08/31/09 04:49 PM

looks ok. be sure you have your original CD and a blank CD handy. It won't update the app, only make you a new cd. (from which you can drag off the updated app)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #2615 09/01/09 09:03 AM

I've run DW v 4.2 already; it is definitely quicker than was v 4.1.1.

(PS: Those first two screens that I once mentioned would not display [because of the absence of QuickTime] when I ran DW from either my BootCD or bootable flash drive now display.)

artie505 #2637 09/01/09 02:17 PM
OP Offline

Quick Update: I have replaced the Mighty Mouse with a cordless Logitech mouse that we used before we got this iMac. I have had no start-up freeze of the cursor since the switch. Will see if the luck holds! I have no idea why the change would solve the problem. Time will tell. Thanks, Dave

RichboroDave #2649 09/01/09 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: RichboroDave
Quick Update: I have replaced the Mighty Mouse with a cordless Logitech mouse that we used before we got this iMac. I have had no start-up freeze of the cursor since the switch. Will see if the luck holds! I have no idea why the change would solve the problem. Time will tell. Thanks, Dave

Thanks for getting back to us Dave, I was getting worried about you.

The reason your problem was solved after switching the mouse is as I surmised in post no. 2462 higher up this thread.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard