FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Crooks lurking at legit vendors
#53446 02/21/20 03:35 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, so much for thinking that, as long as you're purchasing from a legitimate on-line vendor, you should be okay..... this is quite an eye-opener.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Crooks lurking at legit vendors
ryck #53448 02/21/20 05:00 PM

Legitimate vendors are still legitimate. The article seems to focus on vendors that are umbrellas for collections of other vendors. The question may be does the umbrella (e.g., eBay, Amazon) have a responsibility for checking on the legitimacy of its sub-vendors? And do these sub-vendors know that they have fakes?

A parallel to this is that companies like Facebook and YouTube are not responsible (for the most part) for the veracity of what is posted on their sites. Of course this may be a free speech issue; is there freedom of commerce? crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #53452 02/21/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
The question may be does the umbrella (e.g., eBay, Amazon) have a responsibility for checking on the legitimacy of its sub-vendors? And do these sub-vendors know that they have fakes?

No and YES!

eBay, at least, lets you see what each individual vendor claims to be selling, while Amazon just posts a blanket pic that's supposed to be representative of what all vendors are selling.

As with phishing emails, common sense is all-important...look closely at pics, and just plain NEVER buy certain types of merchandise on those platforms.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #53456 02/22/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
[...] companies like Facebook and YouTube are not responsible (for the most part) for the veracity of what is posted on their sites. Of course this may be a free speech issue [...]

FYI, free speech issues don't apply to private platforms like Facebook and YouTube, and FineTunedMac for that matter. Not to put too fine a point to it, they (and we) can shut down anything and anybody.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #53457 02/22/20 12:47 AM

As Don Imus so eloquently proved, you've got the right of free speech ONLY on your own dime.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53465 02/22/20 01:49 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
eBay, at least, lets you see what each individual vendor claims to be selling, while Amazon just posts a blanket pic that's supposed to be representative of what all vendors are selling.

I wonder if there is an assurance of original product when Amazon states "Ships from and sold by Amazon" rather than providing the name of the third party vendor. Certainly it seems to be implied.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #53467 02/22/20 04:32 PM

Ships by means physical delivery will be made by Amazon.

Sold by indicates Amazon is acting as a retailer and has purchased the item from the manufacturer or a wholesaler for resale to the consumer. There is a growing number of products sold by Amazon that carry an Amazon owned brand name as well.

In Stock means the item is in stock at an Amazon Distribution center and ready for delivery. In Stock items may be sold by Amazon or a third party. If it is sold by a third party there will also be a statement "Sold by seller's name and Fulfilled by Amazon" which I take to mean Amazon is acting as an agency for the seller.

I have also seen notices to the effect that the picture shown may be different from the product you receive but in the one case where I ordered one of those the difference was in the packaging not the actual item that was ordered

There is a LOT of information on an Amazon product listing and it takes some persistence to dig out all the information. I have encountered a couple of "sold by" cases where the listing implied the item was OEM but turned out to be a third party workalike but Amazon unhesitatingly refunded both purchases and in one case I noticed the listing disappeared shortly after that.

If a product is ordered through Amazon it is backed with Amazon's return policy which I have also found to be easy and fast. When I have returned an item to their drop box the refund was deposited to my credit card account within 24 hours of my placing the item in the drop box. That includes items that were not satisfactory for any reason.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53468 02/22/20 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
In Stock items may be sold by Amazon or a third party. If it is sold by a third party there will also be a statement "Sold by seller's name and Fulfilled by Amazon" which I take to mean Amazon is acting as an agency for the seller.

"Fulfilled by Amazon" means that the actual seller stores its inventory at an Amazon location rather than one of its own, and Amazon fulfills orders. There are also listed products that are shipped by their actual sellers other than Amazon, same as with eBay.

Originally Posted By: Scraped from Google
With Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA), you store your products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we pick, pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products.

MORE: Amazon also offers fulfillment service to sellers on other platforms, which is why some items purchased on eBay come in Amazon packaging.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If a product is ordered through Amazon it is backed with Amazon's return policy which I have also found to be easy and fast. When I have returned an item to their drop box the refund was deposited to my credit card account within 24 hours of my placing the item in the drop box. That includes items that were not satisfactory for any reason.

Not all items offered on Amazon are backed by their return policy, and I've seen items change from one status to the other as their prices changed.

Also, I've encountered something odious in their return policy: I ordered and returned three different brands of compression elbow brace, all of which sported a
Originally Posted By: Amazon
Return this item for free
Free returns are available for the shipping address you chose. You can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition and get a full refund: no shipping charges
banner, but when it came time to return them because of a bad fit, the only free options I was offered were drop-off at either a Target or UPS store.

I had to waste my time calling Amazon to get the promised "free" shipping label.

That's sneaky, underhanded, and altogether NOT cricket!

(In the instances in which I was returning one size to get a different size I got around the roadblock by saying that the second item sent was the wrong size and returned the first, and since my reason for the return was Amazon error, the free label came up automatically.)

Your prompt refunds may result from your being a Prime member; when I use my daughter's Prime account I get my refunds when I drop my return packages, but when I use my own account I don't get them until UPS says they've been delivered.

Last edited by artie505; 02/22/20 06:13 PM. Reason: More

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard