FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Massachusetts Madness
#51821 06/11/19 11:44 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

A Massachusetts preschool has decided to ban the phrase "best friend", rationalizing that it will cause mental damage to the other 4 and 5 years olds. Earth to the Massachusetts preschool teachers: Children don't apply the same psychological mumbo-jumbo to words that adults do. This kind of wackiness makes me crazy.

Last edited by ryck; 06/11/19 11:46 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Massachusetts Madness
ryck #51826 06/11/19 03:37 PM

I agree that this is overboard, but children are sometimes "hurt" when someone they think of as a best friend claims someone else as their best friend. The difference is children generally forget about such slights quickly, often within minutes, unless someone — like a teacher or overly protective parent — makes an issue of it. This decision has all the earmarks of being the result of a complaint by a helicopter Mom parent and educators struggling to find a rule to hide behind so they can keep their jobs.

I sympathize with the teacher's and school administrator's struggling to keep their jobs. But the ones I feel sorry for are the child(ren) of the parent(s) behind this. She (I am guessing it was most likely a girl) will grow up with a parent dedicated to sweeping away every slight and every obstacle and is unlikely to learn how to deal with social and other life problems. Too often these children are so unsure of themselves that when they get to college and are faced with some of life's harsher realities elect to stay blind drunk and/or blitzed out on drugs rather than facing their inability to cope.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51827 06/11/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
... Too often these children are so unsure of themselves that when they get to college and are faced with some of life's harsher realities elect to stay blind drunk and/or blitzed out on drugs rather than facing their inability to cope.

Just as Monty Python's Norwegian blue parrot was pinin' for the fjords, I pine for the days of yore when kids were expected to fend for themselves and learn life's lessons as need be.

When I was in elementary school bordering on middle school (in those days called junior high), the school bully always tried to prove his worth (despite considerable deficits in cerebration department) by punching out those who were not so intellectually deprived. My retort to his threat of giving me a bloody nose was to threaten to sneeze on him if he did; that put the kibosh on his threat.

Moving right along ....

grelber #51828 06/11/19 05:29 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: grelber
.....the school bully always tried to prove his worth.... by punching out those who were not so intellectually deprived. My retort to his threat of giving me a bloody nose was to threaten to sneeze on him if he did; that put the kibosh on his threat.

I recall a school bully named, appropriately, Dick....who would beat me or my friend Adrian whenever he caught either of us alone. He was easily a full head taller than us an had a weight advantage.

When Adrian and I finally had enough we hid in a laneway that Dick took on his way to and from school. The two of us managed to get Dick to the ground where we punched the crap out of him. He never bothered us again.

Back to the theme, joemike is absolutely right, we are not doing our children any favours when we protect them from every possible hurt.

Last edited by ryck; 06/11/19 05:31 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard