for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
You think you know about computers?
#50902 01/12/19 05:28 PM
OP Offline

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: You think you know about computers?
joemikeb #50905 01/13/19 08:10 AM

Thanks for the link.

I can't claim to have understood a whole lot of, much of, perhaps even any of what I heard, but it was a fascinating listen.

The coin game was lost on me, but the possibility of two AI equipped infected quantum computers teleporting data between themselves without human intervention is a pretty scary, perhaps even doomsday, scenario.

I suggest that this sort of research and development be halted for the moment and ceded to Elon Musk for completion when he's comfortably ensconced on Mars.

I like living on the edge, but I'd much prefer to be born into some faits accomplis than have to live through the potentials inherent in their birth.

Maybe I've read too much sci-fi, or, conversely, maybe some researchers need to read more of it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #50911 01/13/19 08:37 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Maybe I've read too much sci-fi, or, conversely, maybe some researchers need to read more of it.

Most of the researchers I have met and known are avid Science Fiction fans. The day the first Star Wars movie came out I was sitting in the theater waiting for the movie to start when someone in the theater shouted out, "If you are supposed to be at work at Texas Instruments hold up your badge." The few in the audience that did not hold up a badge were either spouses of the TIers or faculty from the computer engineering department at the University of Texas at Dallas or Southern Methodist University.

When we got back to work our boss was furious because we had not invited him to go with us, but he couldn't say too much because his boss was at the movie too.

Some of those present that day had assisted Jack Kilby when he created the first solid state device and some were later responsible for building the first engineering model of a quantum chip. It took 40 years for the Nobel Committee to recognize Jack Kilby so those who worked on the quantum chip still have some time to wait for theirs.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #50914 01/14/19 08:52 AM

Whoopee ti yi yo, git along little androids... laugh

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard