for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Big Brother (A.K.A. Amazon) Is Watching You
#50888 01/10/19 09:12 PM
OP Online

The Amazon Ring sounds eerily like 1984 but 34 years late. Apparently this is all in the name of home security?????

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Big Brother (A.K.A. Amazon) Is Watching You
joemikeb #50889 01/10/19 11:32 PM

Well, they're not watching me unless through a neighbour's camera, in which case, "Hi there".

I don't have any device attached to my home to remotely control things through an internet connection. I don't even have one of those Alexa-type devices that you instruct to play music, et cetera. Having a 'hot' microphone in my home, without knowing who might have access to the output, just seems unwise to me.

And, I'm not sure just how effective all these "security" cameras are anyway. I'm pretty sure the number of images on the local news showing a parcel being stolen from a porch far exceeds the number of reports of thief apprehension.

Last edited by ryck; 01/10/19 11:36 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #50892 01/11/19 09:17 AM

While I agree it would be nice to go back to "good ol' days" when one could leave front doors unlocked, keys and kids in the car, and the like ... those days are long gone, for whatever reason (mainly 'overpopulation' however defined).
I carry no brief or tolerance for those who give couriers carte blanche with respect to parcel delivery when they could easily give alternative delivery instructions which would guard against porch pirates. (You know who you are, you lazy dolts!)
Alternatively there are a host of other safeguarding techniques which even a cursory glance online can provide ... including, but not restricted to, employment of a large Bluto type with a baseball bat to sit on your porch. A sort of concierge service. tongue

grelber #50893 01/11/19 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
I carry no brief or tolerance for those who give couriers carte blanche with respect to parcel delivery when they could easily give alternative delivery instructions which would guard against porch pirates.)

Both UPS and USPS used to honor handwritten redirect (within the building) requests left on the door, but that appears to have gone by the boards, although I don't understand why risking theft by dumping packages at doors or in the lobby would be more economical than honoring those requests. (USPS is notorious for not even bothering to ring the doorbell; UPS is pretty good about it.))

As you've said, providing alternative delivery instructions - but you've got to create an account to do it - is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: grelber
...employment of a large Bluto type with a baseball bat to sit on your porch.

I tried one of those, but he was stolen. tongue

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard