for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Possible SPAM / Unwanted Targeted Marketing
#46483 09/29/17 02:47 PM
OP Offline

Had an interesting email arrive this morning listing my "Safe/Blocked Senders List Summary". I immediately parsed it as unsolicited junk mail from a marketing push to get me to enroll in their security program(s) and moved it into my Junk folder.

Then I went to work to determine who they were and where they were based and try to understand how they got my email address so I could close that hole.....turns out the organization which originated that email to me is based in Sunnyvale California, they have a very legitimate business model and web presence, and the hole that provided their marketing approach to me appears to be from Microsoft as I recently registered a new installation of Office 2016 for Mac.

Anyone else here been approached by ProofPoint to establish an email security program? If so, were you also a recent registration for any of the Microsoft Office products?

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Re: Possible SPAM / Unwanted Targeted Marketing
MacManiac #46484 09/29/17 04:10 PM

Is it necessary to register Office for Mac 2016?

I never registered my Office for the Mac 2011 and never had a problem (manually) updating it right up to version 14.7.7 at the beginning of this month. (I plan to keep it right up until I wind up on the wrong side of the grass.)

My experience with registering anything (from coffee makers to apps) has been consistently negative. One seems to get put onto a universal mailing list that one can never get removed from.

grelber #46485 09/29/17 04:13 PM

You've got to register Office to get tech support, but for no other reason of which I'm aware.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MacManiac #46486 09/29/17 04:17 PM

Maybe they bought email addresses on the dark net, i.e. from hackers, in order to take advantage of Experian jitters. tongue

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #46487 09/29/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
You've got to register Office to get tech support, but for no other reason of which I'm aware.

I hadn't thought about that.
On the other hand, Office for the Mac 2011 has operated flawlessly over its entire lifespan — for me at least, with my modest demands — which is something that most products can't boast.

artie505 #46500 09/30/17 03:21 AM
OP Offline

With Office 2016 for the Mac, the installation process has been changed.....you HAVE to have a Microsoft account in order to install the program(s) in Office. It's treated as if it were an Office 365 registration, but you get to have the software installed instead of using the online version(s). It totally sucks! So no longer is the registration process optional, it is now a requirement.

The only reason that I went to the 2016 version is because the 2011 Office for Mac is compiled as a 32 bit program and WON'T BE RE-COMPILED. As Apple moves away from any applications that are not 64 bit, Office for Mac 2011 will become locked out.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #46505 09/30/17 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
With Office 2016 for the Mac, the installation process has been changed.....you HAVE to have a Microsoft account in order to install the program(s) in Office. It's treated as if it were an Office 365 registration, but you get to have the software installed instead of using the online version(s). It totally sucks! So no longer is the registration process optional, it is now a requirement.
The only reason that I went to the 2016 version is because the 2011 Office for Mac is compiled as a 32 bit program and WON'T BE RE-COMPILED. As Apple moves away from any applications that are not 64 bit, Office for Mac 2011 will become locked out.

It totally sucks! is probably the kindest thing you could say about it.
Either I'll have to abandon MS's Office down the road or perhaps someone will have come up with a hack-around by that time. Since I rarely use other than Word productively, I should be able to find an alternative to suit my needs.
MS's penchant for providing "readers" for those who don't use Office products should suffice for anything else.

MacManiac #46507 09/30/17 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac

As you said, "[That required registration] totally sucks!"

I'm in the same boat you were in...running Office 2011, but since I use only Excel, and for not very complicated purposes, I finally gave Numbers a try yesterday, and it looks like it'll do, although there'll be a bit of a learning curve. (No big deal, but too bad I wasn't smart enough to think of Numbers before I blew $60 on Office. frown )

artie505 #46515 09/30/17 02:53 PM

And don't forget that Apple's Pages can open MS Word documents as well as save in that format. Ditto with Numbers and Excel.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #46517 09/30/17 03:29 PM

Thanks for upgrading my post to add that Numbers is able to open Excel docs; my bad for forgetting to mention it.

Wait... Did you just say that Numbers can save docs in .xls format? If so, that makes it even more useful.

Ira L #46521 09/30/17 04:01 PM

LibreOffice and NeoOffice both do an excellent job of handling MS Office files.

NOTE:
  • NeoOffice recently switched from OpenOffice to LibreOffice as the underlying codebase because LibreOffice handles MS Office files better
  • NeoOffice runs as a native MacOS app

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46524 09/30/17 04:24 PM

I tried one of those ...Office apps a few years back and was unhappy with both its display of my Excel docs and the fact that I had to install its entire suite of apps...80 MB as I recall.

Also, NeoOffice is now a $30 app, although LibreOffice is free (as is OpenOffice).

artie505 #46527 09/30/17 05:09 PM

I tried one of those ...Office apps a few years back and was unhappy with both its display of my Excel docs and the fact that I had to install its entire suite of apps...80 MB as I recall.

Also, NeoOffice is now a $30 app, although LibreOffice is free (as is OpenOffice).

StarOffice/OpenOffice/LibreOffice/NeoOffice are and have always been a single integrated app rather than a collection of somewhat related apps having different roots but shipping in the same box like MS Office. The latest release of NeoOffice Professional is 1.25GB, costs $15, and the database function is far more robust than the $30 NeoOffice in the App Store. (No, that doesn't make any sense to me either.) NeoOffice can run barefoot in MacOS, but the database function in NeoOffice Professional requires the Java Development Kit (JDK) version of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and not the more common JVE. If you are into database NeoOffice Professional is well worth a look.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46532 09/30/17 10:38 PM

Thanks for that.

Numbers will suffice for my current purposes, but I"ll keep NeoOffice in mind against future need.

This and this explain the price and other differences between NeoOffice and Neo Office Professional.

artie505 #46541 10/02/17 12:51 AM

Numbers has one major avantage over other spreadsheet products, it runs as a native app on MacOS, iOS, and iCloud.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46542 10/02/17 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Numbers has one major avantage over other spreadsheet products, it runs as a native app on MacOS, iOS, and iCloud.

Thanks for the heads-up, but knowing me, you should have appended a tongue to the iOS/iCloud part.

artie505 #46544 10/02/17 10:41 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, but knowing me, you should have appended a tongue to the iOS/iCloud part.

For you and some others the tongue may be appropriate, but given the ownership statistics that heads-up could be crucial to the vast majority of Mac users who also have iPhones and/or iPads and an absolute necessity for tens of millions more iOS device users who do not own a Mac. frown

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #46548 10/02/17 05:08 PM

Thanks for upgrading my post to add that Numbers is able to open Excel docs; my bad for forgetting to mention it.

Wait... Did you just say that Numbers can save docs in .xls format? If so, that makes it even more useful.

Yes, Numbers can export as .xlsx and open Excel documents, .xls or xlsx. Same with .doc and .docx in Word.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard