An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trashing, not erasing data from an SSD. Is it ok?
#44376 04/23/17 10:37 AM
OP Offline

I know that erasing data from an SSD can have detrimental consequences.

But is it okay to free up SSD space by moving files to the Trash and then deleting, or is that also harmful, but only less so? confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Trashing, not erasing data from an SSD. Is it ok?
Pendragon #44377 04/23/17 12:17 PM

The harm to an SSD comes from writing to the disk because the data cells are good for only a finite number of write operations.

Moving files to the trash does not physically move or rewrite the file it simply changes the pointers in the disk directory, a single write operation to only a few data cells, and has minimal effect on drive life. Deleting the file from the trash is a similar write operation to the volume directory to "forget the file and flag the data cells as reusable which again has only the absolute minimum effect on SSD life.

A SECURE erase writes to the storage location several times and therefore reduces the life of those data cells. It is also arguably unnecessary on an SSD (particularly if the entire disk is encrypted).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44396 04/24/17 11:14 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The harm to an SSD comes from writing to the disk because the data cells are good for only a finite number of write operations.

Moving files to the trash does not physically move or rewrite the file it simply changes the pointers in the disk directory, a single write operation to only a few data cells, and has minimal effect on drive life. Deleting the file from the trash is a similar write operation to the volume directory to "forget the file and flag the data cells as reusable which again has only the absolute minimum effect on SSD life.

A SECURE erase writes to the storage location several times and therefore reduces the life of those data cells. It is also arguably unnecessary on an SSD (particularly if the entire disk is encrypted).

Your explanation re writing is what broke the code. All this time, I had been obcessed with moving, trashing, deleting, and erasing. I completely overlooked the writing piece of the issue.

Many thanks kind sir. A bit more light is now in my life.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #44398 04/24/17 03:56 PM

I am glad I could break the code for you. To me, that is far more important outcome than simply answering a question or solving the problem.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard