for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
chrome going evil?
#43547 01/31/17 01:14 PM
OP Offline

It seems that as of the latest update, not all chrome plugins can be disabled. (or possibly viewed) Specifically their DRM plugin (Widevine) has become the first user of this "feature":

http://boingboing.net/2017/01/30/google-quietly-makes-optiona.html

This is a particularly fun one because it's got a languishing security flaw, and now you can't turn it off.

Quote:
Google's now-mandatory Widevine had a critical flaw for six years, which was only reported because a researcher from Israel, the only industrialized nation that doesn't have a law protecting DRM, published his findings.

Though this departs into another nasty can of worms itself, where security researchers are being prosecuted (rather than just persecuted) for publishing security vulnerabilities even when using "responsible disclosure" policies. So, can't talk about it, can't turn it off. Just "bend over and say 'aaaah'"

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: chrome going evil?
Virtual1 #43550 01/31/17 04:31 PM

I just watched this IBM TED Talk on cybercrime. IBM is fully in favor of and has a corporate policy to immediately release information on successful hacks into the public domain. Their contention being if the information gets out quickly enough so others can and will immediately take advantage of the knowledge, it will take the profit out of the open market for hacks and thereby reduce the number and frequency of attacks.

Apparently IBM is not concerned about being sued or maybe they have enough lawyers on staff to make lawsuits unprofitable.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: chrome going evil?
Virtual1 #43559 01/31/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
So, can't talk about it, can't turn it off. Just "bend over and say 'aaaah'"

Or….pull out CleanApp and remove Chrome, which is what I've done. It's not much of a loss. I'm an almost exclusively Safari user but periodically run across a page that won't load. Then I'd open the page with either FireFox or Chrome….so I guess it'll only be FireFox from now on.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard