FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
joemikeb's FL trip
#42128 10/12/16 01:36 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Artie will be returning from Florida next week while my wife and I will be on an adults only (no children or grandchildren) visit with our good friends Mickey and Minnie near Orlando.

Been meaning to ask how you guys made out with Micky & Minnie and Matthew?

Hope your trip wasn't too badly disrupted!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: joemikeb's FL trip
artie505 #42133 10/13/16 02:21 AM

Thanks for asking.

Our visit to Florida corresponded perfectly with hurricane Matthew's but thanks to Disney's determined efforts to protect the safety of their cast members (they were all sent home) and guests (who were sent to their rooms and told to stay there — even guests in the campground were bused to the resorts and given rooms), a very helpful American Airlines ticket agent (that we waited on the phone for over two hours to talk to after all flights from Orlando were cancelled), and a friendly off duty taxi driver (who drove us to Tampa International Airport in his wife's car) we suffered only minor inconvenience and we arrived home in Texas only about 3 ½ hours late.

When we got to the house we discovered there had been a power failure while we were in Florida and the UPS that supports all our network and server systems had gone belly up (the battery was apparently okay but there were internal failures) and had to be replaced. That was the biggest inconvenience of the entire trip.

As a side note the camera on the iPhone 7 Plus proved absolutely amazing! The 2X telephoto doesn't sound like much but it makes a huge difference and the quality that you get when the phone blends the images from the two lenses as in the Portrait mode (a.k.a. Depth Effect) in iOS 10.1 produces gorgeous results. Videos taken with the phone are great and the accompanying audio seemed significantly better than the iPhone 6 Plus.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42134 10/13/16 04:32 AM
OP Online

I'm happy to hear that all apparently worked out well! smile (I assume that you didn't lose any data when your UPS died.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42136 10/13/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
(I assume that you didn't lose any data when your UPS died.)

I didn't lose any critical data, but I did spend several panicky minutes trying to figure out why I could not connect to the internet when we got home. 😳

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard