FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How the Arab World Came Apart
#41464 08/13/16 11:43 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

In case you're interested in the subject, The New York Times Magazine for August 14 — coincidentally the 71st anniversary of VJ Day — has devoted an entire issue to same:

Fractured Lands: How the Arab World Came Apart

From the editor-in-chief's introduction:
"It is unprecedented for us to focus so much energy and attention on a single story, and to ask our readers to do the same. We would not do so were we not convinced that what follows is one of the most clear-eyed, powerful and human explanations of what has gone wrong in this region that you will ever read."

Re: How the Arab World Came Apart
grelber #41466 08/13/16 03:49 PM

For a more personal (in-depth?) perspective, consider Thomas L. Friedman's From Beirut to Jerusalem. He was a weekly columnist for the New York Times.

When the book went into paperback he added an epilogue with an update for the current situation.

My synopsis of his perspective on a solution to the Middle East crisis would be "Forget it! Both sides are too tribal and will only trust immediate family members and maybe, just maybe, members of their tribe. Outside of their tribe--no trust."

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: How the Arab World Came Apart
grelber #41473 08/15/16 12:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRYZjOuUnlU
Just watched that today. but then again when I go look at youtube, there's a lot of videos on it. some are better than others. There were a few I've watched recently that were very good, I'll try to post them here later

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard