An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Who knew writing would be such hard work?
#27608 12/05/13 09:11 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

I posted a bit ago about one of my partners and I sequestering ourselves in a cabin in the wilds of rural Washington for six weeks to write a book about polyamory.

Six weeks ended up turning into seven, and, naturally, the first draft still isn't finished. (I had no idea that it'd be quite this much work!) The first half of it has gone to our early reviewers and is slated to go to the editors next week, and we're scrambling to finish the second half; we were supposed to get it back from the editors and start working on the second draft by the first week in January. Whew!

The good news is we're 128,000 words into our 125,000-word goal. The bad news is there's still seven chapters left to finish, two of which have barely been started.

So all that means I'm likely to be scarce again for a while, as I'll be head-down trying to get this first draft out the door. Wish me luck!

Next time someone offers me a book deal, I think I'll go to work in a coal mine instead. It's less work.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Re: Who knew writing would be such hard work?
tacit #27609 12/05/13 10:39 PM

I've done a bit of writing, I know what's involved, and I feel for you.

Good luck getting your project finished, and even better luck with your editors. smile

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Who knew writing would be such hard work?
tacit #27610 12/06/13 12:38 AM

I have done more than a little writing and God alone knows how much editing and I genuinely feel for you at this stage. One thing I can tell you, it is a LOT harder to cover a topic in 125,000 words than it is in 250,000 words but the 125,000 word version will be the one that is worth the effort.

…and then the )$(*%&^ editor bleeds all over your oh so carefully immortal words shocked

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard