FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Would you like a second coat with that?
#25383 03/14/13 04:26 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I've heard of painted ladies, but painted leeks? Here's a German food company that has invented an edible spray paint for people wanting to give meals a splash of colour. Somehow I just can't imagine a gold coloured steak or silver french fries being more appetizing.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Would you like a second coat with that?
ryck #25391 03/14/13 10:34 PM

That's...kinda awesome, actually.

I suppose it was inevitable, given that edible inkjet ink already exists. (For a party several years ago, I had a cake made that had a picture of a dystopian industrial scene inkjet-printed onto it.)

I look forward to seeing the cool, creative things people do with this!

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #25393 03/14/13 10:46 PM

> ...I had a cake made that had a picture of a dystopian industrial scene inkjet-printed onto it.

OK, I'll bite... How?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25428 03/16/13 01:46 AM

I took a photo into the cake store. They scanned it on a scanner, then ran the cake under a contraption that's basically an oversized inkjet printer that prints with food coloring. When the cake came out the other end, it had the photo on it.

tacit #25429 03/16/13 02:04 AM

I guessed it would be something along those lines; I wonder how many cakes they've got to sell at what price to make buying the contraption pay?

(I assume they can scale the scanned photo to the size of the cake?)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #25472 03/19/13 09:06 PM

Yep, the image is scaled just like any other scan is (by scanning at a higher resolution and then stretching to fit the cake, which drops the resolution).

I have no idea how expensive the cake-printing gizmos are, but they're pretty cool. Not as cool as the gigantic 3D printer that prints houses using concrete as the "ink," but pretty cool nonetheless. smile

tacit #25473 03/19/13 10:41 PM

> Not as cool as the gigantic 3D printer that prints houses using concrete as the "ink...

Googled it; now that IS pretty cool!!! cool

I'm a bit skeptical about the idea of building houses on the moon and Mars with no people there to oversee, though. (Giant 3-D Printer to Make An Entire House in 20 Hours))

artie505 #25474 03/19/13 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I guessed it would be something along those lines; I wonder how many cakes they've got to sell at what price to make buying the contraption pay?

Rather than running a cake through a cake printer grin, most cake prints are in fact made by printing with edible inks on edible frosting sheets tongue. Those sheets can either be affixed directly or transferred indirectly (for chocolate surfaces) to the cake's frosting layer, and cost about $1.50 each. The printers are standard inkjet printers dedicated to use with edible inks. Edible ink cartridges (and refills) are available for hundreds of printer models, and only slightly more expensive (10-25%) than regular ink cartridges. This is why the price of a cake print can be quite low (around $5 for a letter size print). Of course, you'll have to add the cost of affixing it to the cake etc.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #25475 03/19/13 11:01 PM

Thanks for the link. (I didn't see anything about how to de-gunk the printer's guts when you're done printing.)

If they can combine the cake and building technologies, they can have pretty concrete cakes in place for the first Martian housewarming party before the occupants even get to Mars. grin

artie505 #25476 03/19/13 11:28 PM

I didn't see anything about how to de-gunk the printer's guts when you're done printing.

AFAIK, that isn't available for regular printers either, at least not as a standard item. Besides, current printers don't make much of a mess during printing; most of any spilled ink tends to be located below the printhead rest. For cleaning of a seriously clogged print-head a special cleaning liquid is used.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #25477 03/19/13 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
I didn't see anything about how to de-gunk the printer's guts when you're done printing.

AFAIK, that isn't available for regular printers either, at least not as a standard item. Besides, current printers don't make much of a mess during printing; most of any spilled ink tends to be located below the printhead rest. For cleaning of a seriously clogged print-head a special cleaning liquid is used.

I was more thinking of the paper feeding mechanism as getting gunked up; just look at what frosting does to your fingers, and imagine what the inside of a printer could get to look like.

Maybe there's a market for edible printers? tongue

Aside: I continually run into a problem with my printer cartridges drying up, and soaking the print-head in warm water (as advised by the guys I buy from) turned out to be a one-time only solution, so figuring "What the hey; I've got nothing to lose," I nuked a cartridge...3 x 1 second jolts, followed by a warm soak, and the trick has now brought the same cartridge back to life at least 6 times. (The 1 second at a time part is critical; longer jolts could result in arcing and fry your microwave, as, I might add, even 1 second jolts might do, but haven't done in almost 20 tries.)

artie505 #25489 03/22/13 10:01 PM

guess you will have to "lick it clean" when you're done? laugh

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard