for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The new MacBook Pro
#22170 06/11/12 05:21 PM
OP Online

Retina display, the highest resolution on any laptop, no more optical drive, firewire and ethernet only available via a Thunderbolt adaptor, USB 2 and USB 3 connectors, faster processors (of course), almost as thin as the MacBook Air, up to 7 hour battery life or 30 day standby time, so what say you?

Are you ready
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 06/11/12 05:20 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: The new MacBook Pro
joemikeb #22191 06/12/12 06:33 AM

This may make the decision-making process a bit easier:

Originally Posted By: CNET Reviews
As of the announcements in today's keynote presentation, Apple is no longer offering Ethernet, FireWire, or ExpressCard connectivity as built-in options in its laptop systems; however, the company will sell Ethernet and FireWire Thunderbolt adapters for $29 each. Currently the Ethernet adapter is available in the Apple Store, and the FireWire adapter should soon join it.
Apple's product pages state that the adapters are compatible with the latest MacBook Air and MacBook Pro with Retina Display models, without mention of any other models; however, being Thunderbolt devices they should work with any system with a Thunderbolt connection.

So it's gonna cost an additional $29 + $49 for a (2 meter...the only option) Thunderbolt cable to keep your current FireWire drive running, the same if you want to be hard-wired to the Internet or some device at the same time, and optical drives, if you need one, are toast until a costlier option is available.

I understand that the capability must anticipate the appurtenances, but it seems to me that Apple has gotten a bit, if not way, ahead of things this time.

Last edited by artie505; 06/12/12 07:17 AM. Reason: Expand

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #22193 06/12/12 08:52 AM

Apple's got to find some way to make more money, especially when OS X Mountain Lion debuts and not all that many want to upgrade to it since its purportedly functionality adds little to Lion.
(Anybody know what the font for sarcasm is?) tongue

artie505 #22196 06/12/12 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
This may make the decision-making process a bit easier:

Originally Posted By: CNET Reviews
As of the announcements in today's keynote presentation, Apple is no longer offering Ethernet, FireWire, or ExpressCard connectivity as built-in options in its laptop systems; however, the company will sell Ethernet and FireWire Thunderbolt adapters for $29 each. Currently the Ethernet adapter is available in the Apple Store, and the FireWire adapter should soon join it.
Apple's product pages state that the adapters are compatible with the latest MacBook Air and MacBook Pro with Retina Display models, without mention of any other models; however, being Thunderbolt devices they should work with any system with a Thunderbolt connection.

So it's gonna cost an additional $29 + $49 for a (2 meter...the only option) Thunderbolt cable to keep your current FireWire drive running, the same if you want to be hard-wired to the Internet or some device at the same time, and optical drives, if you need one, are toast until a costlier option is available.

I understand that the capability must anticipate the appurtenances, but it seems to me that Apple has gotten a bit, if not way, ahead of things this time.

I'm a bit surprised about the Ethernet port, but I do remember buying a usb floppy drive...

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #22197 06/12/12 11:16 AM

> [...] I do remember buying a usb floppy drive...

Well, yeah, but you already had a USB port, and cheap USB cables were already available, so you didn't have to spring for the equivalent of a $300 Thunderbolt Dock plus $50 for a cable as part of the deal.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #22201 06/12/12 08:50 PM

What's this "$300 Thunderbolt Dock" of which you speak?

And although I agree that the removal of built-in Ethernet and FireWire ports may be considered handwriting on the wall, the CNET article you quote is just plain inaccurate: that change currently affects only the Retina display MacBook Pros, not the entire MacBook Pro line.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #22202 06/12/12 09:05 PM

Quote:
So it's gonna cost an additional $29 + $49 for a (2 meter...the only option) Thunderbolt cable to keep your current FireWire drive running...

And why wouldn't you simply use a twelve-buck FireWire cable instead?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #22211 06/13/12 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:
So it's gonna cost an additional $29 + $49 for a (2 meter...the only option) Thunderbolt cable to keep your current FireWire drive running...

And why wouldn't you simply use a twelve-buck FireWire cable instead?

Thanks for my self-deprecating laugh of the day.

Oops! Of course you wouldn't need a Thunderbolt cable with a T-bolt/FireWire adapter.

And for that matter, optical drive was a lousy example, because Apple's drive is a USB device; I should simply have said "any FireWire device the life of which you wish to perpetuate."

dkmarsh #22212 06/13/12 05:46 AM

You're correct about the inaccuracy; the writer blew the facts, but the issue remains, albeit not as respects all portable Macs...for the moment, anyhow (Edit: and I certainly hope that "for the moment" is depressive, unrealistic thinking).

The two T-bolt docks of which I'm aware are described here. (The Belkin is $399 + $45 for a cable, and the Matrox is $249 + (I assume) cable, totaling around $300.

Afterthought: I cited the article to put the Retina Display MBP into some sort of perspective, so the bad info was of no consequence as respects my post.

Last edited by artie505; 06/13/12 07:14 AM.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard