An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
fall detector app with definable autodial?
#19512 12/07/11 02:20 AM
OP Offline

This may be a bit off topic but I don't know where else to ask. A relative of mine has gotten a bit far into parkinson's and is also falling a lot. Her immediate family is looking for a solution similar to the "Mrs fletcher" fob neckless. She can't be counted on to press a button though if she falls, this needs to be automatic. But after extensive googling around I find that fully 100% of them are selling a product with monthly service. If the wearer falls, they can automatically dial "trained professionals" that THEN call us to let us know she's fallen. I can't find a single one of them that will call her husband's cell phone.

This is obviously a ploy to keep themselves in the middle and their fingers in our wallets with a monthly fee, I can't say as I blame them but it's downright silly to insist on the device calling their call center instead of directly calling us. ($45-100/mo is over $500-1000/yr) This seems like quite the extortion for someone on a limited income. Certainly more than the cost of a cell phone and an app, good for several years. I checked the app store for such a thing and there's not much there. Android seems to have one or two in beta but nothing that looks any more reliable.

We're hunting for a one time purchase of hardware/software that has reliable fall detection that can auto dial a cell phone. Considering all the cell phones with accelerometers in them I was expecting to find a selection of such apps, and am shocked to find little to nothing. There's got to be a big market for this sort of thing.

Thanks for any help with this.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: fall detector app with definable autodial?
Virtual1 #19515 12/07/11 04:08 PM

My mother-in-law could have been a poster girl for the "if you fall" ads. She tripped and broke a leg. Unable to reach the phone, she lay on the floor for almost three days in freezing weather.

As a result of this incident she got one of the monitored services and on more than one occasion it proved to be well worth every penny of the monitoring fee. The complete system consisted of much more than a simple alert button. The service included a two way audio monitor so that when the alarm was triggered the service technician could activate a speaker system in the house and carry on a two-way conversation with my mother-in-law to determine the exact nature of the problem. It was sensitive enough that she could be heard even if she fell or needed help on the exterior porch. If my mother-in-law was for any reason unable to answer the technician could listen and see if anything could be heard that would give a clue as to the nature of the emergency.

The procedure then was to immediately dispatch the proper aid, fire department, EMS, or police and only then notify the family members. The family notification included a tiered notification structure beginning with the family member in the nearest vicinity and then those in more remote locations.

A system such as you were describing has too many potential points of failure. The family member is away from their phone, they left their cell phone on the desk and went down the hall to another room, they were in the car and passing through a dead zone, the battery in the cell phone failed, they were on another call, etc. The monitoring service guarantees the dispatch of appropriate help in the shortest possible time and sometimes minutes can mean the difference in life or death.

When you compare the cost of the monitored service to specialized "day care centers", in home assistants, or moving to a monitored facility, the cost of a monitored in home system is negligible.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: fall detector app with definable autodial?
joemikeb #19517 12/07/11 06:39 PM

Dead on! (No sick joke intended, only emphasis.)

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard