Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Here you are! What a relief!
#1196 08/16/09 11:13 AM
OP Offline

Hi !

Great to see some familiar names again.

I've been wandering around the lonely what-used-to-be-MacFixit wondering what the heck happened to the layout and where everyone friendly and helpful had gone - excepting, I hasten to add, MrMacFixit.

Seeing what was the MacFixit lounge so empty, I posted a long-ish passionate piece in praise of Macs. It looked like it needed someone to! Then, to my surprise and delight, I was referred over here.

HI JonJchuzi, HI Tacit and HI everyone else whose names I recognise.

Er.....any interest in my passionate piece in praise of Macs? wink

Re: Here you are! What a relief!
Bensheim #1197 08/16/09 11:20 AM

Welcome back. smile

> Er.....any interest in my passionate piece in praise of Macs?

Of course; post it in the Lounge.

(Funny... I posted our address in their lounge about an hour before you posted...saw your post, but didn't look at it, because I didn't want to click them any more ad revenue than I already had.)

Last edited by artie505; 08/16/09 11:31 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Bensheim #1204 08/16/09 02:43 PM

And a big WELCOME BACK from me too! cool

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #1205 08/16/09 03:54 PM
OP Offline

You remember me, Jon? I can hardly believe it. Maybe you're just being the real nice guy you really are.

Re: my passion piece in praise of Macs, I don't know.....wouldn't I be preaching to the converted, kinda thing? smile

Bensheim #1206 08/16/09 04:06 PM

And your point would be ...?!

Bring it on!

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière
grelber #1207 08/16/09 04:20 PM
OP Offline

OK, I don't take much persuading. <rolls eyes>

Here's my post into the silence of the old MacFixit Lounge, yesterday. Then someone helpful came along and told me to come here.

Whatever happened to MacFixit? I went away for a bit as I had no queries and when I came back recently, it's all changed here. Where's Jon (New York Jon, Jchuzi. Where's Tacit? Both those guys helped me so much in the past - freely, at length, sympathetically, knowledgeably. WONDERFUL guys.

Have they been driven away? Shame!

MrMacFixit's a great guy and I'm really really glad to see him politely and helpfully posting - Hiya!

The Mac Lounge used to be FULL of threads, where have they all gone? It was a really buzzy, fun, place to be. ???

Should we try to recreate some of the good old ones? I'll start.

How long have you been on Macs?/What was your first Mac?

Me: since 1986 and the first one was this:

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/photos/Apple_MacSE_System_s2.jpg

(I see it's now in a museum.......)

I can't remember the first OS at that time. Was it system 6?

Since then I've worked my way through system 7, 8, 9 and the migration to OS X was scary. Jchuzi helped me so much at that time and I'll never forget it.

Here's the thing about Macs. People who use them are nicer, friendlier, more ready with advice without being patronising or condescending. Macs don't need all that anti-virus firewall and registry stuff which bedevil PC owners. This enrages PC owners and makes them even more patronising. I have never encountered a SINGLE THING which can be done on a PC, and which cannot be done on a Mac.

Case in point: recently I've bought some new accessories. In both cases the "customer service" said (snottily) that they are "only compatible with PCs". NOT TRUE. Flim Flam. Ignorance. Scaremongering. With a good Mac (like this iMac I'm writing on right now) those so-called PC-compatible disks will eventually yield whatever it is you want - OR, better, you can get what you want from the internet, free.

And it's not just new iMacs which perform so well either. I have a years-old G4 running OS9, still in use every day, performing brilliantly. I've only ever had two problems with it, both quickly solveable with the great documentation on Apple Support.

Apple Macs are smarter, more intuitive, really fast to boot up and down, forgiving of just about any user mistakes, and pretty to look at as well. When I got this job 14 years ago, the first thing I did was to convert the office network from clunky old PCs to Apple Macs. Much howling ensued but now.......they wouldn't work with anything else.

I've even got a Mac-specific ISP, and they're great too!

===== er, why don't img tags work here? =====

Bensheim #1216 08/16/09 07:48 PM

Glad you found us Bensheim!

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
==== er, why don't img tags work here? =====

They same reason they didn't work at MacFixit. The images take up too much disk space and do bad things to forum response time so we elected to follow the same policy we had before.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #1225 08/16/09 09:46 PM

Macs in days of yore

One of my favorite reminiscences — perverse with Schadenfreude as I am — is of a friend who was a medical illustrator at the university when Macs made their debut in 1984. His boss, a delightful Brit and an outstanding teacher who immediately saw their utility and promise (and who still uses Macs in his professor emeritus years) acquired a 512 for himself and the illustrator. (That Mac is still kicking around.) In hindsight I marvel that anyone thought a 512 could outperform a PC for illustration purposes, but what do I know?

In any event the illustrator successfully used his Mac and rapidly increasing library of applications, invariably available on those wonderful 1.4MB 'floppies', usually a half dozen or more to an app. On one particular occasion the illustrator was in a rush to install a new application (from a single floppy) because he was headed out of town for an extended period. I happened to be in his office at that moment and reminded him that he should really make a backup of the disk (as he usually did) before trying to install it. He replied that he didn't have the time. Half-way through the installation the power went out for a few minutes and when it came back on he tried to start the installation again. Unfortunately, the power outage had corrupted the disk; as I recall, it read that there were 8,888,888 MB available. Following a string of choice comments, he ejected the disk and threw it against the wall and left the campus.

His boss, ever understanding, replaced the app, and when the illustrator returned from his extended leave, all was forgiven on all sides.

No longer associated with the university he continues his love affair with Macs.

That must be wonderful; I have no idea what it means.
— Molière

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard