for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
editing SQLITE database
#44467 04/30/17 03:37 AM
OP Offline

I've found myself in need of a lightweight built-in (-ish) editor for SQLITE databases. These databases are used by a large variety of free and paid software on OS X since sqlite3 is bundled into Mac OS. Not having found any, I wrote one.

In the interest of completeness I'd like to find a few guinea pigs that would be interested in bug testing it. (and to let me know of any obvious missing features)

It's ~ 2500 lines of BASH and has an ANSI graphics interface that should remind you of DBASE if you ever used that on the PC. (that's where my first database experience comes from) Let me know if you're interested in playing with it. Only very basic understanding of terminal use is necessary and NO understanding of SQL or databases is necessary. It's about as easy to use as Excel.

Although I know there's a lot of titles that use it, I don't know of much actually bundled with OS X that uses it. I was thinking safari for bookmarks, history, cookies, etc but I don't see it. A lot of titles use Defaults (prefs plists with arrays and dictionaries) instead for things that really belong in a database. (apple's remote desktop! all in a plist, even the password list. wow....) So if you know of any "easy targets" to test with also let me know.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: editing SQLITE database
Virtual1 #44619 05/16/17 03:37 PM
OP Offline

huh... nobody want to beta test? tongue it's now 4,000 lines and has features like "search" and "sort"

Virtual1 #44623 05/16/17 04:35 PM

I don't use it, but if anyone uses Mail Steward to archive and catalog their Mail they have a database that could help you with your testing.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #44627 05/16/17 06:31 PM
OP Offline

thanks Ira. I've also found that Skype uses sqlite3. And I just went poking around, and unsurprisingly so does iPhoto.

~/Pictures/iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary/Database/apdb/

lots of sqlite3 databases in there to look at

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard