Next Thread
Print Thread
Protecting Your Digital Life
#44206 03/31/17 09:31 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Re: Protecting Your Digital Life
grelber #44210 03/31/17 06:02 PM

I have recently added FileVault, TOR, and VPN to my security suite one way or another, I am covering all of the recommendations cited in the article. I have a few comments to offer.
  • The TOR browser mentioned is Firefox based and the slow speed mentioned is not due to the browser per se, rather it is a function of the TOR (The Onion Routing) network that bounces the signal through at least three routers scattered around the globe and securely re-encrypting the message at each link and is essential to hiding the location of the originating browser. The only way for it to get faster is for more people volunteering computer time as Onion Routers. There is an ongoing project to sandbox TOR which would make it more secure on all platforms and is essential before Apple will permit TOR IOS.
  • TOR has a messaging app that also uses TOR routing and connects to most messaging networks.
  • I have long used OpenDNS as one of my security features. However, I have recently encountered problems with OpenDNS blocking access to a VPN (Disconnect) and the TOR web site, because...
    Originally Posted By: OpenDNS
    This domain is blocked due to content filtering
    Of course Disconnect does effectively block advertising. Is this a case of the marketer's striking back against ad-blockers?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard