for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Upcoming Apple Product Releases
#36179 09/30/15 03:27 PM
OP Offline

I was visiting the genius desk at the local Apple Store a day or two ago and while sitting around waiting for the Watch2 OS to download I started chatting with the genius and asked what new product they were personally looking forward to. All the geniuses, immediately entered into the conversation.

Without exception everyone, including me, indicated their intention of buying an iPad Pro as soon as they could get their hands on it. The general opinion being the iPad Pro is a MacBook Pro in iOS clothing and no one was put off by its running iOS rather than OS X. There was speculation the iPad Pro threatens to make substantial inroads into the MacBook, MacBook Air, and low end MacBook Pro sales.

I brought up the Apple TV and response along the entire Genius Bar was a resounding yawn and disinterest.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Upcoming Apple Product Releases
joemikeb #36183 09/30/15 05:25 PM

You know this "younger generation" watches TV, etc. on their laptops, so the Pro would still meet their needs. No Apple TV needed.

Ahh, they just don't realize the benefits of big screen immersion! Or maybe they're waiting for low cost virtual reality devices. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #36186 09/30/15 07:36 PM
OP Offline

The "younger generation" in my conversation at the Apple store ranged in age from their mid sixties and seventies (a lot of retired men and women work the genius desk) to the mid twenties. The under represented age group was the thirty, forty, and fifty year olds. We were all of the geek persuasion however. grin

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36194 10/01/15 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
(a lot of retired men and women work the genius desk)

Maybe a bit of age-bias, but I'd personally have some initial skepticism getting iPad advice from a grey-hair. I spend a lot of my time giving that specific age group help myself.

Honestly, I think the average 10-year-old probably knows more about iPads than any other age-group, and that includes me.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #36211 10/02/15 02:56 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Maybe a bit of age-bias, but I'd personally have some initial skepticism getting iPad advice from a grey-hair. I spend a lot of my time giving that specific age group help myself.

Careful — you are getting personal. I am one of those grey heads past the ¾ century mark and kids come to me for help.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard