for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Cell Phone Decision...
#34598 06/06/15 07:14 PM
OP Offline

confused I get very confused which phone to get when I upgrade. Last time I got an iPhone 5 and it was so big I just could not get used to carrying it or holding it close to my head. Sold it on eBay and kept using my lg vu plus slider, a sweet little qwerty phone.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active because it is rugged and has the better glass screen. But, it is really big. So, what I really want is a good camera, a small phone on AT&T. I was looking at a Blackberry because it is querty but it isn't what I want in any other way, so I might have to tap in any situation now.

The Sony xperions look great, but they are pricey, are they worth it? I want to find out before I start asking att about compatibility. I want to have a wish list before I call them. The other thing I was looking at was the Nokia. Now they have different sizes and different quality of cameras and so forth. I know that for the money, it was $89, the 5S Active, is the best for photos. It is so damn big. So, I could do what I did with the iPhone and just get what I want, the att store does not have a lot of selection but I have been a customer since the 80's I think and I have a great plan.

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
Re: New Cell Phone Decision...
slolerner #34602 06/08/15 12:00 PM

I have a 5s that seems to be a good size for me, though I've owned a 3s and two similar size ipod touches in the past. The iPhone 6 however, is a slab of a phone, too big for my taste. Reminds me of those huge samsungs people sling around.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
slolerner #34607 06/08/15 04:31 PM

I am certainly not the one to advise you, I have an iPhone 6+, the BIG one. I love it because the screen is large enough I can read the screen without my reading glasses. These days however, I seldom use my iPhone directly except to take pictures. For most every day functions such as checking and replying to email or text messaging, calendar, alarms, even showing off recent images in Photos, I use an Apple Watch. My iPhone 6+ remains in a holster on my belt or slipped into a jacket pocket. Before you ask, Yes I can read my email on the Watch without glasses. I am not sure how Apple does it but the text is so clear that as small as the screen is it is easily readable.

By-the-way the Watch is a great way to trigger the camera in the iPhone as long as it is within Bluetooth range.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34608 06/08/15 07:22 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. It's really ironic. I somehow hacked my little lg vu plus a while back and got Opera Mini on it, but it only worked in the vertical format and was sorta useless because the type size was not adjustable. Just a jumbled mess no better than ATT net, a weird little thing reminded me of Netscape on a dial-up modem. Yesterday I was showing someone how silly it was and there comes Opera Mini, horizontal format, actually useable. But I'm thinking maybe I should learn Android, just get an Android phone and dive in. I sent back the Samsung Galaxy, anyway.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard