for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amazon Fire Devise
#28573 04/07/14 02:11 AM
OP Offline

Ok, so I bought a TV. I am renting a stinky cable box from Time Warner for my cable internet service so I have been advised to purchase a MOTOROLA/ARRIS DOCSIS 3 modem and I have my Wireless-G router and a range extender for my non-wireless printer on the n network.

Cable TV is very expensive. I download a movie to my computer or ipod touch from iTunes now and then and having Netflix or Amazon Prime or both for movies plus Hulu or digital reception would be good. The thing I don't want is WIRES! If I get an Amazon Fire, which just came out and is supposed to be very good, do I need a super-duper wireless router and do I need a router with the AC network gamers use? It's only about 18 unobstructed feet from the router to where the TV will be. I am also where digital broadcast signals are strong, like, I couldn't be in a better area to pick up digital broadcast signals, at least right now cool .

I hooked up the TV to my neighbor's cable modem to test out the TV (it's a Panasonic Viera TC-L32X5) and geez, the type was all ragged around the edges. His wasn't, maybe Time Warner matched the signal to his TV? Someone told me all the flat screens look like this when something is not HD broadcast. I learned that this may have to do with connecting the TV depending on where the content is coming from, signal, cable, etc. It's here:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-hdtv1.htm

So, what do I need here? I have an F cable (CATV) coming into the apt, I guess that has to go into a compatible modem first, although some guy who sells cable stuff on the internet told me hard-wire an HDMI around the room and stop talking. Do cable modems even have an HDMI connection? The TV has all kinds of connectors. If I run any cable roundabout to where the TV will be, it's a big job.

I didn't know what I was getting into and the technology seems to be changing rapidly. I wanted a sofa so everyone told me to get a TV, also. I hope the sofa is analog.

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
Re: Amazon Fire Devise
slolerner #28729 04/26/14 03:26 PM

You have a lot of questions, to some of which I can give my experiences.

You don't need the faster AC router (not just for gamers), but having a router that does "n", not just "b/g" will probably be beneficial.

In my area it is no longer possible to take the CATV cable and screw it directly into the TV; it has to go through a cable company box. If you have cable service Comcast/Xfinity will give you a free, basic cable box that can be used. That doesn't help you, just my observations.

However, you may not need to worry about any of this. Most routers do not have an HDMI slot, most cable boxes do, BUT why not connect your iPod, iPad, or Kindle Fire directly to the TV to watch your downloaded media? I don't know about the Fire, but iDevices, with a $30 (approx.) adapter, can all plug directly into the HDMI slot on the TV. Just switch the TV input, using the TV remote control, over to the HDMI slot and whatever is playing on the device will appear on the TV. I do it all the time and it is nice and easy.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
slolerner #28733 04/26/14 04:01 PM

The key to whether you can plug your TV directly into the cable or do you have to go through a converter box provided by the cable company is whether the cable is analog or digital. Most systems these days are digital and require the digital converter box. Digital typically provides far more channels, a superior picture including HD channels, and more management features such as multi-room, multi-channel TIVO. All at a cost of course.

AFIK the only matching of cable and TV is setting up the remote controller to match the command set used by the TV controller and Cable box (if any). The picture you described could be caused by any one of several factors including a badly made or the wrong type of coax cable between the wall and the set.

Apartments that are prewired are generally analog or there is a central cable box somewhere on the premises that then distributes to the various apartment units. The apartment manager should be able to tell you what you have and whether it is free or you have to pay for the service and how to set it up.

If that does not work you might want to consider DirecTV or DISH Network satellite connection. They may be less expensive than cable and generally provide superior performance and features.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #28735 04/26/14 04:56 PM
OP Offline

So, it seems I do need a new router because the cable company that I get my internet-only service from upgraded me to 5Ghz and the new Arris combination modem/WiFi device they gave me seems to be bottle-necking at the Wireless-G. I am NOT using the modem for WiFi because I have seen 'da howwa' when it is supplying the WiFi and the internet goes down, the new modem is just capable of it. I have also been advised by someone from the cable company that it is generally a bad idea to use the modem for both. Last night while noodling with the Wireless-G to get faster internet, the modem created it's own network with the same name as mine and I couldn't figure out what the freak was going on when I turned off the router and my network was still there!

Therefore, I need a recommendation for a new router, maybe one I can get used or refurb. Also, the thing is, I won't run any wire from the modem, router or computer to the TV. Because of my apt. layout, it is insanity. I am not that concerned about all kinds of TV content because most of it I am disinterested in. I will have a sofa and I am told I need a TV tongue. So maybe a Kindle Fire to wirelessly connect to the *new* router (TBD) for downloading some content, and an antenna next to the TV to pick up broadcast, I think that is all I want to do.

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #28742 04/26/14 07:36 PM

If you are looking for a wireless router for your data network the Apple Airport Extreme ($199) can handle just about anything you might want to do or if your needs are minimal the Apple Airpot Express ($99) will do the job. Both are dead simple to configure using Airport Utility and both are dead bang reliable.

Either can sometimes be found as rebuilds from the Apple Store or Smalldog Electronics.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #28744 04/26/14 09:26 PM
OP Offline

Which Extreme would you recommend? There are two of them released June 2013, the tower and the box. Not much price difference. I don't think I need it to be a Time Capsule. I'm not a big fan of combo things when one functionality stops working.

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #28745 04/26/14 09:27 PM
OP Offline

The tower might be better for connecting the TV, signal radiates better?

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPad Air
slolerner #28747 04/26/14 10:41 PM
OP Offline

I think I may have answered my own question. The tower only works with Lion or higher. Sorry, not ready to take the leap yet...

BTW, excellent posting about routers and Kindle Fire:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=c...=Tx2RY4L7G1R2KE

Last edited by slolerner; 04/26/14 11:56 PM. Reason: additional info

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard