Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Steve Jobs for President!
#16745 07/29/11 05:49 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Steve Jobs for President!
jchuzi #16754 07/30/11 11:18 AM

Something tells me he wouldn't want the job. However, I'm pretty sure he could inject some of the creative thinking that's needed to address the problems in Washington currently being manhandled by people who seem to think partisan politics trump the needs of the citizens who pay their salaries. What a spectacle.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 07/30/11 11:18 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #16846 08/05/11 02:28 PM

And some speculation on how he might do it.

ryck

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #16850 08/05/11 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Something tells me he wouldn't want the job. However, I'm pretty sure he could inject some of the creative thinking that's needed to address the problems in Washington currently being manhandled by people who seem to think partisan politics trump the needs of the citizens who pay their salaries. What a spectacle.

In some respects I think that a person that has no political interest or affiliation, and is already set financially, is the sort of person that we need for a few terms. Someone that just "gets things done" without caring about who in the government or abroad they piss off. Things need getting done, and the bureaucracy is like herding cats.

The #1 problem I see is there's too much greed, everyone is looking out for their own interests, and to get anything done requires an amount of cooperation. The greedy ones realize this and see it as an opportunity, and the entire system becomes filled with pork as a result. But this is what happens when you need a hundred people to agree on something to make it happen. In that respect, thats why dictatorships are such efficient governments wink

A pure democracy will always end up in a big building full of infighting selfish representatives that can't make decisions for the common good of all. (reminds me a little bit of Star Wars ep 1) But I don't know what a "strong president" could even do about all that. I kind of like what happened recently in canada where the whole lot got flushed and re-elected. It may take something that drastic to get enough "common good" people in power at once to actually straighten out how things work. Right now no one has a reason to change because "that's how everyone else does it", and if you're in the minority trying to do it right, all you get is taken advantage of and you don't accomplish anything. Too many things need to be changed simultaneously to make it work right. Also reminds me of a computer program that's become so bloated and misdirected and scatterbrained that it's impossible to fix a piece at a time, so you have to scrap the code and start a fresh rewrite while bearing in mind and avoiding all the design mistakes that were in the previous version... never pleasant, but sometimes necessary.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #16852 08/05/11 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
[In some respects I think that a person that has no political interest or affiliation, and is already set financially, is the sort of person that we need for a few terms.

I think you're right but I think it applies in a lot more places than Washington. In Canada, England, pretty much anywhere in the world, there are too many people running things in government who have never been anything except politicians. There just aren't enough who had a real job, or achieved anything in a competitive environment.

....there's too much greed, everyone is looking out for their own interests, and to get anything done requires an amount of cooperation. The greedy ones realize this and see it as an opportunity, and the entire system becomes filled with pork as a result.

Right again. I don't recall off-hand who it was, but one commentator said that it seemed that neither the Republicans nor the Democrats got what they wanted. This person was probably right but it points out the problem - no one was getting what the majority of the American people wanted.

I kind of like what happened recently in canada where the whole lot got flushed and re-elected.

It's not a perfect system here either. Although we have a majority government that will be able to enact legislation without too much fuss, the "majority" part only means they have the most seats. It does not mean they represent the majority of Canadians.

The way the electoral boundaries work, we have a "majority" government that only garnered 40% of the votes.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 08/05/11 09:31 PM.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard