for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Tail of The Mouse
#16513 07/14/11 03:11 PM
OP Online

Xerox invented the mouse for use on their minicomputer word processing systems but Steve Jobs saw and adopted it and as in so many things in computing the rest of the industry eventually followed Apple's lead kicking and screaming all the way to the bank.

Over the years I have used a variety of pointing devices including rollerballs, tablets, a variety of corded and cordless mice, and trackpads on laptops. After reading about the gestures, in OS X 10.7 (Lion) I invested in a wireless trackpad for my iMac. After a week or ten days with the trackpad and Magic Mouse both sitting on my desktop, I realized I was not using the Magic Mouse at all. After a few more weeks of gathering dust I pulled the MM's batteries, and relegated it to the unused technology drawer beside its corded sibling.

At this point I cannot envision any reason to go back to using a mouse. The trackpad is quicker, easier, more intuitive, and with gestures far more flexible. , Wile I was never completely satisfied with laptop trackpads, they were
  1. Too small
  2. in a fixed location in the center of the keyboard.
The wireless trackpad overcomes both of these limitations quite handily.

After my experience and considering the gesture technology that is inherent in Lion, my questions are
Originally Posted By: My Questions
  1. after all these years is Apple moving toward phasing out of the mouse from their product lines?
  2. Is the mouse even needed with a trackpad and gestures?
I'm not suggesting this will happen in the next year to two, but what about three or four years from now?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: The Tail of The Mouse
joemikeb #16518 07/14/11 04:12 PM

they might. apple is well known to drag their customers (sometimes kicking and screaming sometimes) into the future. IDE, adb, serial, scsi, vga are the best examples.

If they decide the mouse needs to go, I have no doubt they'll get rid of it. But unlike the above, it'll still be easy for a customer to add a mouse back to it. It's not like you lost your ADB port and have to track down a card or a dongle. They just won't ship with a mouse anymore. They may integrate the touchpad into the keyboard. But that'd be a limit for southpaws so maybe not. Or it'll be adjustable.

I'd like to see them work more toward touchscreen, but that's not nearly as useful for the desktops.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard