for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MS Skype
#15531 05/11/11 05:15 PM
OP Offline

My personal experience with Skype has been overall positive. The only problem I ever had is I let my skype "credit" expire and they took some money. But they got slapped for doing that and I don't think they're as sneaky as they used to be. Otherwise their service has been good quality and reliable, with frequent updates. I don't care for their changing the GUI around but that's not too big of a deal. I was also getting random skype text spam for awhile but that appears to have stopped - seeing as the spammers didn't likely stop on their own I have to assume skype stopped them so that's a good thing too. (the same thing about the same time happened with ichat, and that too has disappeared)

So, what does the community expect to happen to skype now? Will it turn into MS Skype and go swirling down the can? One thing I'm worried about is they'll go into their "expand" stage and bloat up skype with all sorts of (windows-specific) additions and requirements and make a mess of a clean product. I can't find that "what if microsoft took over the ipod" video, it was a riot and shows just how good MS can be at destroying a product while trying to "add value" to it.

ahh there it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: MS Skype
Virtual1 #15534 05/11/11 10:24 PM

FWIW, here's the opinion of MacWorld's Lex Friedman (What Microsoft's Skype purchase means for Mac, iOS users), including options for Mac users should MS 'improve' current functionality away.

alternaut moderator
Re: MS Skype
Virtual1 #15535 05/11/11 10:27 PM

Thans for passing that URL along! Both of you. grin

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/11/11 10:34 PM. Reason: add plural

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard