Economic dream = nightmare
#14341 02/23/11 08:40 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

In case you didn't already know it ...

Wake up, Americans. Your economic dream is a nightmare frown

Re: Economic dream = nightmare
grelber #14342 02/23/11 11:15 AM

Well, the tone of that piece is a bit patronizing. It could be that plenty of Americans are wide awake and in touch with our economic reality but that our interests are increasingly removed from representation in the halls of power (now that corporations are people and so can dominate the financing of politics; see the Koch brothers—"the Standard Oil of our times"—for the prime example).

And those who are supposed to represent our interests are also wide awake; they're just dancing to the tune of a different fiddler: the very well-off, whose well-offness has continued to grow more or less continuously since the days of Ronald Reagan. If you're a major stockholder and profits are soaring, who cares if the company's not hiring?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #14344 02/23/11 02:30 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Of course it's patronizing. That's how one has to deal with "children" (those who can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy), whose only response to the economic malaise is to lash out blindly and wildly, blaming all and sundry for their misfortunes, rather than focusing on the root of the problem (namely, themselves). Just like the imbeciles who still think that one or another vaccine causes autism (are you listening, Jenny McCarthy?). Or just like 51% of Americans, according to a recent poll, who still believe that Obama isn't a native-born American.
{Aah, that little rant — let's say rantlet — feels oh, so good.}
Like Scrooge McDuck, I'm going to spend my free time diving in and out of my money vault.

grelber #14345 02/23/11 03:12 PM

Could you give me a cite for that recent poll…would love to read it
tks

Jay

I-Mac 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 3gb/500 O.S..10.6.8
grelber #14353 02/23/11 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Like Scrooge McDuck, I'm going to spend my free time diving in and out of my money vault.

.......which will be okay as long as you can keep it full.

Considering we have some history not much different than south of the border (just behind in time) you might face future challenges keeping the vault full.

The Americans had Reagan who handed a giant financial problem to Clinton. Clinton fixed it and handed a giant surplus to Bush, who changed it into a huge financial mess that he turned over to Obama.

We had Mulroney who handed a giant financial problem to Chretien. Chretien's Minister of Finance Paul Martin fixed it and they gave a giant surplus to the Conservatives who have now reversed it.

And Prime Minister Harper isn't done yet. Like Republicans he thinks we should be spending billions on new jails, even though crime statistics have dropped. He's handed more than 35 billion in tax cuts to corporations who are already awash in cash but not generating meaningful jobs, and he's let the civil service balloon by 12.5%.

I find Harper's fiscal achievement more than a bit worrisome.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 02/23/11 06:39 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Jay-bird #14354 02/23/11 07:09 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Jay-bird: I wish I could give a citation, but I only fleetingly caught the commentary on a Canadian newscast last week (and I can't even recall which of the 3 networks it was on).
So I just punched it up on a search engine and came up with a poll reported on February 16 —
http://globalgrind.com/channel/news/cont...t-do-you-think/
So I was a tad off: Only 51% of Republican primary voters registered that opinion.

ryck #14355 02/23/11 07:15 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Yeah, I'm going to have to give Harper a little leeway, given that he's had to take the brunt of the bomb-out recession over the past couple years.

As for my money vault qua pit, if necessary, I can always downsize the content from gold Maple Leaves and Krugerrands to silver dollars to 50¢ pieces .... Actually, the smaller coins are a lot easier to swim in.

grelber #14356 02/23/11 08:15 PM

Glad to see you got your facts straight...

Jay

I-Mac 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 3gb/500 O.S..10.6.8
ryck #14357 02/23/11 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
The Americans had Reagan who handed a giant financial problem to Clinton. Clinton fixed it and handed a giant surplus to Bush, who changed it into a huge financial mess that he turned over to Obama.

people want more from their government... *

elect republican
taxes cut
govt spending increased
people receive more benefits, services, and govt handouts
national debt grows
national economy collapses

people want economy fixed...

elect democrat
taxes raised
govt spending lowered
people receive fewer benefits, services, and govt handouts
national debt declines
national economy repaired

people want more from their government... *

rinse, repeat.

that's the USA for you. you can't blame the democrats OR the republicans, it's the VOTERS that are doing it to us... If I were to have to sum it up I'd say it's the (*) moments where the voters get greedy that cause this to happen over and over. Call it "robbing the future for a lavish today".

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #14358 02/23/11 11:03 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

What did I say?! Morons flailing about as though their behavior wasn't haphazard.
Ah, sweet serendipity ... or should that be stupidity. Potayto, potahto. confused frown

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard