for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"The Star Spangled Banner"
#14180 02/12/11 12:49 PM
OP Online

Can anybody pinpoint when it stopped being a song we sang along with and became entertainment? frown

Jose Feliciano's rendition is the earliest example I can remember, but was it the first?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: "The Star Spangled Banner"
artie505 #14192 02/13/11 06:08 PM

I have no answer, but that is a great question!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
artie505 #14196 02/14/11 07:48 AM

I'd put my money on Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock back in summer 1969.

grelber #14197 02/14/11 08:39 AM
OP Online

You induced me to do a bit of searching, and... Per Wikipedia:

Quote:
In October 1968, at the height of protests against the Vietnam War, Feliciano was given the opportunity by Detroit Tigers broadcaster Ernie Harwell to perform "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Tiger Stadium in Detroit during Game 5 pregame ceremonies of the 1968 World Series. His highly personalized, slow, latin jazz performance proved highly controversial. As a result of his unusual delivery, many radio stations refused to play his songs, and his career was stalled for almost three years.[citation needed] Even so, in an October, 2006 NPR broadcast, he expressed pride for opening the door for later reinterpretations of the national anthem. His World Series rendition, which features him accompanying himself on an acoustic guitar, was released as a single which charted for 5 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #50.

Looks like Feliciano may have been the springboard.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #14198 02/14/11 10:20 AM

I bow to you (and your investigation) and accede to the facts.
And I want my money back.

Last edited by grelber; 02/14/11 10:48 AM. Reason: Refund
artie505 #14203 02/14/11 07:08 PM

nowadays all the stars do is forget the words while trying to sing it

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #14208 02/15/11 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

To be fair, we have what is arguably one of the worst national anthems of any country; it's difficult to sing, it's not really what I'd call terribly inspirational, and it ends on a question that you could say calls into doubt the continued existence of the country it's a national anthem for. "America the Beautiful" would, I think, make for a better national anthem.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #14211 02/15/11 09:37 AM

Tis indeed beautiful.

However, despite my being a member of the Church of the Blessed Infidel, my vote for a 'new' anthem would be Irving Berlin's God Bless America.
If you haven't heard Kate Smith's rendition of it, do so. To say that it's inspirational would be gross understatement.
And you might like to check out how just how inspirational it was/is to the Philadelphia Flyers in the entry for Kate Smith in Wikipedia.

tacit #14212 02/15/11 09:53 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
Originally Posted By: Virtual1

To be fair, we have what is arguably one of the worst national anthems of any country; [....]

Not "To be fair..." Bad lyrics aren't an excuse for people's forgetting them.

But I agree. Of the national anthems I've heard ours does not rank way up there.

I think it was pretty inspirational at the time it was written, but it's kinda too specific today...doesn't have that generic puff-up-your-chest feeling, either lyrically or musically, at all.

I suggest "Take me out to the ball game." grin

tacit #14215 02/15/11 11:20 AM

Ah, c'mon! The Star-Spangled Banner was cobbled together from a poem written on the back of an envelope and a melody stolen from a British drinking song. It's impossible to sing well, it's difficult to memorize because its language is so opaque that even linguists have ongoing disputes as to the meanings of particular phrases, and it mismatches an interrogative syntax with a declarative melody. Throw in an enthusiastic celebration of rockets and bombs, and you've got the definitive American* anthem. laugh
_____
*Note to grelber—American used inaccurately here in favor of the perhaps more correct yet inarguably less mellifluous Usonian.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
tacit #14218 02/15/11 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
To be fair, we have what is arguably one of the worst national anthems of any country; it's difficult to sing,

Yes I've heard that. I'm nobody's idea of a vocalist, but I've heard that it has a massive range requirement to hit all the high and low notes.

Virtual1 #14219 02/15/11 04:28 PM

well, "Massive" is a bit extreme, but it does have a wide range, that of an octave and a fifth.

when you're drunk it's not a problem... laugh

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
dkmarsh #14221 02/15/11 04:34 PM

Quote:
…and a melody stolen from a British drinking song.

I did not know that! Perhaps if we require the singer to pound down a few shots before starting…

roger #14222 02/15/11 04:38 PM

There has been at least one effort to "modify" the tune to reduce its range and make it more singable for the general population but apparently it didn't "take". On the other hand church musicians I know contend that because there is so little "public" singing these days and because public school music programs have been gutted, the average vocal range is significantly reduced from that of say fifty years ago.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #14226 02/15/11 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Not "To be fair..." Bad lyrics aren't an excuse for people's forgetting them.

Touche. It may not be a good song, but those performing in public should probably make a point of remembering all the words nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
On the other hand church musicians I know contend that because there is so little "public" singing these days and because public school music programs have been gutted, the average vocal range is significantly reduced from that of say fifty years ago.

I remember reading a Web article some time ago about how the advent of studio-recorded music caused a lot of performing musicians quite a lot of upset, because it meant that people who were not good performers could now have successful careers as musicians.

Nowadays, of course, successful studio musicians complain that the advent of the Internet means that people who are not good at scoring recording contracts can have successful careers as musicians. But we've come full circle, I think; the advent of the Internet means that a lot of musicians can make a go of it without the studio labels...but in order to do it they have to be willing to tour almost constantly, a la, say, Jonathan Coulton, one of my favorite musicians.

So it's possible the wheel of fortune has now turned all the way, and we are now returning to a time where an ability to perform well live will become more important to successful musicians.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #14239 02/16/11 02:07 PM

Quote:
So it's possible the wheel of fortune has now turned all the way, and we are now returning to a time where an ability to perform well live will become more important to successful musicians.

Now there is a revolutionary concept!

Here is another. Vocalists with sufficient training in voice and music they can project the lyrics to the back of the theater without using a microphone and 100,000 watts of amplification and each syllable so clearly enunciated the audience in the back row can effortlessly hear and understand every word. Broadway singers used to do that routinely and opera singers still do -- in multiple languages.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #14240 02/16/11 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There has been at least one effort to "modify" the tune to reduce its range and make it more singable for the general population but apparently it didn't "take". On the other hand church musicians I know contend that because there is so little "public" singing these days and because public school music programs have been gutted, the average vocal range is significantly reduced from that of say fifty years ago.

as a church musician, I have noticed that hymns are set now a half- or whole-step lower than say 25-30 years ago. Eb rather than E, that sort of thing.

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
joemikeb #14241 02/16/11 04:28 PM

Vocalists with sufficient training in voice and music they can project the lyrics to the back of the theater without using a microphone and 100,000 watts of amplification and each syllable so clearly enunciated the audience in the back row can effortlessly hear and understand every word. Broadway singers used to do that routinely and opera singers still do -- in multiple languages.

I've also observed that foreign singers often perform english songs with very heavy accent or slight mispronunciations that in itself can lend a refreshing quality to their music and add to its appeal.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard