FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Male Dance Moves
#11724 09/10/10 03:04 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Researchers at Northumbria University in the U.K. have conducted the first rigorous study of attractive dance moves and, with a biometric analysis, can now very precisely associate them with women's ratings of male dancers.

Thank goodness somebody has finally tackled that question. I can't remember how many years it's been on my mind.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 09/10/10 03:05 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Male Dance Moves
ryck #11798 09/14/10 02:16 PM

Hmm. It's an interesting study, but I'm somewhat skeptical about the conclusions. I think that unless it's replicated with a larger sample size, I'd be very hesitant to call it useful. And controlling for learned social and cultural conditioning in any kind of study like this tends to be very difficult.

If it does hold up, though, it may open all kinds of doors into our understanding of human evolutionary psychology, and even into the development and adaptation of language. Language isn't as far from dancing as one might think; the necessary prerequisite to any form of verbal language is rhythm, and there have been evolutionary biologists who have argued that our development of complex and abstract language may originally have sprung from a development of rhythm as a means of--surprise!--sexual selection. (In fact, I had a conversation about just that topic last night over dinner with a guy whose Ph.D. research was done on the coevolutionary development of rhythm and language, and how both may have at first been primarily sexual selection adaptations.)

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard