for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Great Pacific Garbage Patch
#9200 04/04/10 07:38 PM
OP Offline

Wiki this one. This is one of the most shocking things I have seen in years and had no idea it was going on. I just feel like I have to share this. If you think this is an inappropriate posting, please take it down.

Re: Great Pacific Garbage Patch
slolerner #9205 04/04/10 10:33 PM

if you see any macbooks mixed in with the flotilla, then I think you may be onto something.

otherwise, no.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #9207 04/05/10 12:00 AM
OP Offline

I was thinking about my Appletalk Laserwriters that Apple has obsoleted along with all their environmentalist-speak. We used to call this old stuff 'boat anchors.' If only they were being repurposed, but they're not.

slolerner #9219 04/05/10 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
If only they were being repurposed, but they're not.

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is quite scary.

I recall hearing that the problem is mostly plastic because of the fact that it isn't biodegradable and that every piece of plastic ever made still exists, unless it was recycled. And, every piece that is just thrown away will, at some point, end up in place like the garbage patch.

Sort of makes it clear why we should recycle, doesn't it?

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/05/10 04:46 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #9220 04/05/10 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
...every piece of plastic ever made still exists, unless it was recycled.

While I agree with your exhortation to recycle, the above statement isn't entirely true. Plastics are subject to both physical and chemical degradation, and even with one or both being very slow, that does constitute degradation. But one way or the other, the plastic still exists, like everything else... smirk

alternaut moderator
ryck #9223 04/05/10 05:49 PM

Not entirely true. There are a few bacteria that can break down plastics. Also, once it finds its way to say, magma or fire, it's going to break down. So saying that it's "forever" isn't too accurate. It just isn't as affected by the more common things like sunlight, water, and common bacteria.

I also recall that crocodile stomachs can dissolve steel nails. I bet they'd take care of plastic. And that's a fair comparison, comparing man's extreme materials with nature's extreme destructive forces.

Virtual1 #9226 04/05/10 06:30 PM
OP Offline

This only came to my attention because an employee of my cousin went to a secluded area as part of Habitat for Humanity to build water infrastructure and it was an area where there was a rare type of turtle that had it's last or next to last breeding area on earth and in the water that washed up on the beach were these tiny flecks of plastic so, obviously, the turtles were doomed. I use a Brita filter and a beach water bottle with a shoulder strap instead of bottled water and I brew iced tea in my coffee maker using tea bags instead of buying it in bottles and put it in Tupperware. And I wanted my Laserwriters because they cost almost nothing to run. Saving turtles also saves $$$ I'm not big on causes, the species I'm trying to preserve is me.

Virtual1 #9231 04/05/10 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I also recall that crocodile stomachs can dissolve steel nails. I bet they'd take care of plastic. And that's a fair comparison, comparing man's extreme materials with nature's extreme destructive forces.

........hmmmmmm. Maybe we're onto something here.

If we just think of the people who dispose of plastic directly into the environment as one of "nature's destructive forces", the crocodiles may be the solution. One destructive force could be the way to get rid of another destructive force. The tricky part is, of course, figuring out how we get these people into the crocodile cage.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 04/05/10 09:48 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
slolerner #9237 04/05/10 11:48 PM

Saving turtles also saves $$

1. Reduce
2. Reuse
3. Recycle

Your description only covers options 2 and (slightly) 1. Still plenty of room for improvement wink

1. I buy my pepsi in 2L instead of smaller packages.
2. Then I fill up four Gatorade 20oz bottles to 16oz per 2L and use those daily
3. At the end of the month the empty 2L's go back to the refundables and any unnecessary Gatorade bottles go into the plastics recycling container.

It's not too much added trouble, gets you more for less, and is a closed loop.

Does anyone else find it unusual that a lot of the smaller bottles like those small plastic bottles have labels on them that say "do not reuse"?

Virtual1 #9248 04/06/10 07:26 AM

Quote:
1. I buy my pepsi in 2L instead of smaller packages.
2. Then I fill up four Gatorade 20oz bottles to 16oz per 2L and use those daily
3. At the end of the month the empty 2L's go back to the refundables and any unnecessary Gatorade bottles go into the plastics recycling container.
  1. Pepsi in 2L bottles is the best after that in cans; it has the most cabonation.
  2. Filling the 20s to only 16 leaves air space into which the carbonation boils off. (Edit: I've invented a contraption, made of dowel sticks with screws in the ends and held together with devices made from wire-hanger sections, that squeezes the bottles shut after they reach a certain point of emptiness and prevents that from happening.)
  3. I empty the whole 2L bottle in 24 hours or less.
  4. The empties go into recyclable trash and are collected by a street person who beats NYC Dep't. of Sanitation to the punch. (You wouldn't believe how many empty cans and bottles a tiny 65 year old chinese lady can load on to, and wheel around Brooklyn in, a shopping cart in giant garbage bags...thousands, and it's just one day's effort!)

Last edited by artie505; 04/06/10 07:55 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #9261 04/06/10 04:00 PM

2. Filling the 20s to only 16 leaves air space into which the carbonation boils off. (Edit: I've invented a contraption, made of dowel sticks with screws in the ends and held together with devices made from wire-hanger sections, that squeezes the bottles shut after they reach a certain point of emptiness and prevents that from happening.)

Ahh but I go on bike rides. That headspace is absolutely required or things get messy! and make sure the cap's on tight!

Virtual1 #9323 04/08/10 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

Ahh but I go on bike rides. That headspace is absolutely required or things get messy! and make sure the cap's on tight!

Don't things get messy even with the empty space? (Or is "less messy" the answer?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #9400 04/11/10 01:48 AM

The headspace is required because the pepsi is carbonated. I don't know the physics of what limits the carbonation's change to gasious CO2, but it appears to be a factor of the pressure already in the airspace, and also the quantity of the pepsi.

In any event, if you don't leave a good 1/2" gap at the top and try to go on a bike ride, it will spray out the cap no matter how hard you crank it on. If you leave the pepsi level at or below about the middle of the Gatorade logo stamped into the neck of the bottle, and screw the cap on tight, usually by the time you pull out the bottle the headspace is cut in half and the dimple on the underside of the bottle is reversed outward, but it hasn't leaked. Had one of these in my bag today. 41 mile ride. And I'm bushed. Not anywhere near back in shape from winter, AND rode an additional 8 miles at the start way fast to get to the meet in time, and tack on another 8 going back, PLUS had to cut some trees down that had fallen over the path. Ya, I'm gonna sleep sound as a rock tonight.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard